Announcements
Can you spare 5 minutes to help us improve our online support experience? Get involved!

yes

Highlighted

Downloading a folder doesn't work

Helpful | Level 5

Your help center page,  https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/download-entire-folders ,  says this

You can download the contents of an entire Dropbox folder via dropbox.com, as long as both of the following are true: The folder is less than 20 GB in total size  & the folder has fewer than 10,000 total files.

Why is that the process of doing this, following the directions on that page, fails more often than it succeds?  

I have a Dropbox Plus account that I pay my hard earned money for and the service provided doesn't work as advertised.

Something in your company's zipping process gives up most of the time and finishes with a zip file that doesn't contain all the files and therefore will not unzip because the zip file is invalid.

Google drive will take a large folder and create several zip files with no problem at all EVERY time and never fail. This issue with Dropbox is very frustrating. I need to get my files off Dropbox without taking the time of downloading just a few files at a time.  Correct your product so we users can use the service effeciently.

Tags (1)
122 Replies

Direct download fails on any folder or file over 1GB

New member | Level 2

I have been dealing with this issue with no answer from Dropbox support since Friday February 2nd 2018.

Any file or folder over 1GB fails on direct download. Using "add to my Dropbox" gets around the issue, but some clients I work with will don't have a Dropbox account.

An individual file results in a network failure in Chrome, Safari, and Firefox on Mac OS.

Folders, which are automatically zipped by Dropbox, appear to have downloaded correctly, but unzip to directory errors, a quick check of the zip file size will verify that the who folder did not correctly download.

Dropbox support seems to be ignoring me.

Re: Downloading a folder doesn't work

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, we’re sorry to hear about this trouble you’re having with the folder downloads.

Have you already tried using a different browser, or using Incognito/Private Browsing mode with no extensions running to see if this helps?

We’re assuming also that using the Dropbox desktop application isn’t an option where you’re located, is that correct?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Super User II
I'm surprised to see that it's 20GB. That must be a recent change because it has always been a maximum of 1GB or 10,000 files.

Even now with the new limit, folders over 1GB rarely ever produce a working Zip file. I just downloaded several folders as a test. Any folder that was smaller than 1GB finished without a problem, but only one (out of 4-5 tests) that was larger than 1GB produced a working Zip file.

Helpful | Level 5

Yes, I have tried Chrome, Explorer & Edge as well as Icognito in Chrome. I will install Firefox tonight and give that a try but it should not be browser specific. This situation is sparatic.  Sometimes it works perfectly and sometimes it fails. There is no pattern. The folders I am downloading are between 3 - 5GBs. I had one folder that was a little over 9GB. 

Last night after I posted my original message, (prior to posting the message all folders failed), I tried downloading folders again starting with the 9GB one.  It failed the first try and then the second try it worked.  I then went to grab other folders, 3-5GB in size, and I was able to successfully get six folders before the failures started happening again. I kept trying to get the failed ones to no avail so I gave up and went to bed.

I have a 300gbps download connection to the internet so my connection is not the problem.

The issue seems to be Dropbox's compression process, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Like I stated in my first post, I never have this issue when downloading folders from Google Drive.  I can get folders from there 100% of the time no matter the size.  Google's compression proccess does it differently than Dropbox, instead of trying to do one zip file that starts downloading immediately, it prepares  the folder by compressing to a zip file before the download starts.  Depending on the size of the folder it will create more than one zip file for a single folder. 

I don't want to use the Dropbox app because I want to get my files manually and have them go to specific locations on my PC's drives. But regarless, your product offers the ability to manually download folders and states it can do folders up to 20GBs & 10,000 files at one time.  This should work every time since customers pay annually for this product.

Helpful | Level 5
The 20GB limit seems to have been introduced in August of 2017. I get positive results sometimes and sometimes not. Se the reply I posted to AgentJay prior to seeing your response.

Dropboxer

Hi @Erack

Thank you for reporting this problem to us. We're aware of issues currently affecting downloads of large files and folders from the website, and our engineering team are investigating the root cause of this problem. 

As a workaround for downloading your files from the website while we work on fixing this, you can download the desktop client and use Selective Sync to only sync down the folders you require. Apologies for the frustration caused by this issue, once I have more information on a fix I'll loop back here and update.

Thanks,

Frank

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for the reply Frank.

I hope your team can correct this issue.  I will try the app but it is not something I really wanted to do. Also I have posted a reply to Agent Jay a couple of times.  It seems to keep disappearing. I am going to post it in this reply just so it shows.  

Yes, I have tried Chrome, Explorer & Edge as well as Icognito in Chrome. I will install Firefox tonight and give that a try but it should not be browser specific. This situation is sparatic.  Sometimes it works perfectly and sometimes it fails. There is no pattern. The folders I am downloading are between 3 - 5GBs. I had one folder that was a little over 9GB. 

Last night after I posted my original message, (prior to posting the message all folders failed), I tried downloading folders again starting with the 9GB one.  It failed the first try and then the second try it worked.  I then went to grab other folders, 3-5GB in size, and I was able to successfully get six folders before the failures started happening again. I kept trying to get the failed ones to no avail so I gave up and went to bed.

I have a 300gbps download connection to the internet so my connection is not the problem.

The issue seems to be Dropbox's compression process, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Like I stated in my first post, I never have this issue when downloading folders from Google Drive.  I can get folders from there 100% of the time no matter the size.  Google's compression proccess does it differently than Dropbox, instead of trying to do one zip file that starts downloading immediately, it prepares  the folder by compressing to a zip file before the download starts.  Depending on the size of the folder it will create more than one zip file for a single folder. 

I don't want to use the Dropbox app because I want to get my files manually and have them go to specific locations on my PC's drives. But regarless, your product offers the ability to manually download folders and states it can do folders up to 20GBs & 10,000 files at one time.  This should work every time since customers pay annually for this product.

Super User II
@Erack wrote:

Also I have posted a reply to Agent Jay a couple of times.  It seems to keep disappearing.

It was being caught by the spam filters for some reason. I've released the post so it appears up above where intended.

Empty Zip File

Helpful | Level 6

I tried downloading a few hundred 7MB JPEG Photos, after a pause it downloaded a 1.7GB zip file yet when I try to extract it (in Windows) it says the zip file is empty!  

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Downloading a folder doesn't work
122 Replies
70 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post