cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading a shared Dropbox Link

Downloading a shared Dropbox Link

SuzetteH
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

There are two options under the download tab. Direct Download & Save To My Dropbox. If I choose Direct Download, that downloads to my PC correct? If I choose Save To My Dropbox, well that is pretty clear. My question is, once a shared linked is saved by either one of these methods, Will I be able to add new or delete outdated (in my case, images) after the link has been saved? Thank you 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @SuzetteH - how are you today? 

First off, as you correctly mentioned, when you directly download content from a shared link, it goes to your computer's Downloads folder.

If you choose to Save it to your Dropbox account, you'll be saving a copy of the folder in question that will be your own folder which in turn you'll be able to edit as you like (i.e. adding or deleting images). 

Just note that Shared links are not editable in this way Suzette - if you'd like the changes (i.e. edits) you make logged back to the original folder (i.e. the one that was shared with you via the shared link in question in the first place), you'd need to ask them to invite you to the folder with editing rights (not by using a shared link which provides with view rights but not edit rights whatsoever). 

I hope this clears things up for you and please let me know if you have any further queries.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @SuzetteH - how are you today? 

First off, as you correctly mentioned, when you directly download content from a shared link, it goes to your computer's Downloads folder.

If you choose to Save it to your Dropbox account, you'll be saving a copy of the folder in question that will be your own folder which in turn you'll be able to edit as you like (i.e. adding or deleting images). 

Just note that Shared links are not editable in this way Suzette - if you'd like the changes (i.e. edits) you make logged back to the original folder (i.e. the one that was shared with you via the shared link in question in the first place), you'd need to ask them to invite you to the folder with editing rights (not by using a shared link which provides with view rights but not edit rights whatsoever). 

I hope this clears things up for you and please let me know if you have any further queries.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

SuzetteH
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you Walter. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. Your answer was just what I was looking for and helped a lot! 

Paula13
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

A shared link was sent to me via a business email address. When I go to download to my dropbox account  (linked to a different email address) it opens without the link in it.  Is there a way to open the link in my dropbox account?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Could you send me a screenshot of what's troubling you so I can get a better understanding of the matter at hand @Paula13? Have you tried another browser (while being logged into your account of course) by any chance?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Paula13 New member | Level 2
    SuzetteH New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?