cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop Box Files Opening in New Tab

Drop Box Files Opening in New Tab

ValerieV
Helpful | Level 6

I have been using Dropbox for a few years now and always when I click on a word document it will ask... "Open With" Then there is a drop-down list and I am able to choose Microsoft Word Online. It has always opened up in the same tab in my browser until around June 11th, 2019 all of a sudden it started opening in a new tab on my Chrome Browser. 
I want it to go back to it opening on the same tab and am unsure how to find this setting?

Please help and let me know step by step how If I click on a word document or an excel file in my dropbox files I can get it to open in the same tab and not open in a new tab.
Thank you in advance...

12 Replies 12

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @ValerieV - how are you today?

As there isn't an option to change this since it's the default way to open this kind of files at the moment, I wanted to thank you for this feedback Valerie.

We are always looking for user input regarding our website so I'll make sure your comments are passed along to our dev team for future consideration.

In the meantime, you'll need to open those files on new, separate browser window to work on them through Microsoft Word Online. 

Let me know if you have anything to add or ask, I'll be happy to follow up.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

ValerieV
Helpful | Level 6

Wait a minute... those files always opened up in the same tab up until last week.. Please tell me what changed? Where in the settings can we change it back?

You wrote it is the default setting... how can I get back to the default setting of last week?

How did this change? Please don't give me a macro automated response from your database, there has to be a way to set it back to the way it was last week.

Thank you again in advance.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the swift response Valerie.

Let me ask around and I'll get back to you once I have an update. 

If you have any more questions in the meantime, please let me know. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

ValerieV
Helpful | Level 6

Hello Walter,

Just checking in to see if you were able to find an answer to my question?
 Where in the settings can I set my preferences to open a Word Doc or Excel Doc to open with Microsoft online and open in the same tab I am on, and not in a new tab?

Looking forward to your response.

ValerieV

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for your patience Valerie!

I just heard back from the team and this is actually expected as there was a change in behavior recently. Files you access via the 'Open With' button, will now open on a new browser window so you can still have the file's preview on one tab and work on the file(s) in question on a separate tab.

In any case, I'll pass your comments on to our team as feedback to let them know where our users stand about this change. 

If there's anything else I can do to help from my end, do let me know please.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

ValerieV
Helpful | Level 6

Yes please pass this on because while it may benefit some, based on my work it creates an issue.
At least in the preferences, we should have an option to set it at whatever setting works for the way we use it.
The way the default setting is right now creates a mess as I have 3 dropbox tabs open at once and use them for different things while doing my daily work. My coworkers are having the same issue. Since last week when doing my work after each client I work on I have 6-8 tabs open when I am done. I do 50 clients a week and this has become a lot of extra work and unnecessary turning off and on of the tabs.

Totally uncool not to give us an option....everyone works differently and you completely did not take this into account nor care to offer the option to your subscribers who actually use this application.

I hope you will consider offering a settings preference as I am sure it is a simple code to put in just as it was simple for you to change the default.

Regards,

ValerieV

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for providing us with your usecase Valerie - most appreciated!

As we're always looking for our users' input regarding our website and how we could improve our services, I will make sure your comments are passed along to our dev team.

Should you ever come up with a Dropbox question or issue, please feel free to let us know. 

Have a lovely day!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

pcottingham
New member | Level 2

You all at Dropbox need to please LISTEN and make it an option to change this setting back. I HATE using Dropbox now because it is impossible to be productive when every time I want to work with a spreadsheet it opens in a new tab. I did not change this setting so why is it changed? Is this from a Dropbox update? As paying users we should have the option to open files in the same tab. Please DO NOT give me the same canned response that you keep giving to ValerieV (post above).

Walter
Dropbox Staff

I appreciate you took the time to let me know where you stand on this one @pcottingham.

At this point, allow me to re-iterate that this is indeed the expected behavior moving forward as there was a change in this quite recently. 

From now on, files you access via the 'Open With' button open on a new browser window. In this way, you'll be able to have the file's preview on one tab and work on the file(s) in question on a separate tab. 

I know it's not the answer you were looking for but I hope it clarifies matters. 

On a side note, I found your existing ticket on our system too and passed your comments there so we can keep all the relevant information under the same place.

If there's anything else I can assist with, please let me know. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    MikeAFCanton New member | Level 2
    rmeder New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    pcottingham New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?