Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

DropBox on Asustor NAS - slow syncronization

New member | Level 2

Hi, I have installed Data Sync DropBox in Asustor NAS (AS1002T v2) with 3Tb HDD. DropBox files are about 1Tb.

The NAS is installed in the same network (LAN) with another PC with Dropbox installed.

In Pc the synchronizatione is already finished (about 1 day - 1Tb), instead in NAS in 5 days the syncronization is more slow (not completed - about 35dizzy face.

How in the possibile problem?
It seems the Dropbox of NAS is stop

Under are NAS settings and characteristics.

Thank You

Setings.jpgSync.jpgcaratteristiche_ASUSTOR.jpg

8 Replies

Syncing to a NAS drive is slow. Any ideas?

Explorer | Level 4

Hi, 

I have a NAS of 4TB as a member in (the only) Group in a Dropbox Bussiness account. The content of the Dropbox account is almost 3TB, the NAS 4TB.

After downloading for 3 months at a location with a normal/semi-fast internet connection,  less than 1 TB has been downloaded on the NAS drive from Dropbox.

The computerservice company where the NAS is located, has no answer why the dowloading takes so much time.

Please a tip how to I can get the 3TB synced on the NAS drive.

Kind regards,

Rudolf

Re: Slow sync to Nas

Dropboxer
Hey Rudolf (@ruudcor), while the Dropbox app isn't designed to run on a server (i.e. this happens since network file systems do not send messages when files change), this configuration may work if you run the Dropbox app as an application in a user account, instead o.... When Dropbox first starts it will do a deep file scan and will detect changes and sync them. However, during normal operation, Dropbox waits for "file update events" and only physically connected drives send these events.

If the above requirements are met, it may be worth noting that you can adjust your bandwidth to speed up syncing a bit when it comes to files uploaded/ downloaded via the client. 

I hope that this is-even slightly- helpful to you & please do let me know here in case you need further assistance in any way, so as to check back with you asap. Thanks for posting us on our Community & I’m wishing you a fruitful week ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: DropBox on Asustor NAS - slow syncronization

Super User II

I'm afraid you need to speak to Asustor about that as its not officially supported by Dropbox to work on NAS's. They have to write the software themselves that does the upload and download etc.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

I have Dropbox on a NAS and it's slow. Any ideas why and what to do?

New member | Level 2

hi, I installed the app of DROPBOX on my nas WD My Cloud EX2100, is I have enabled the synchronization of some folders on DROPBOX, the system has become particularly slow, I saw that it is possible to establish the synchronization intervals at 1 hour, but this operation did not generate any improvement, the reading in the local network of the contents of the nas is always slower, thanks for the attention vs I look forward with confidence some solution
Stephen

Tags (1)

Re: DROPBOX with nas WD

Dropboxer

Hey there Stephen - I hope this finds you well!

As per your inquiry now, it would appear that the setup you are using has the Dropbox folder on a NAS or network storage device. 

Dropbox is presenting this behavior because network file systems do not send messages when files change. When Dropbox first starts it will do a deep file scan and will detect changes and sync them. However, during normal operation, Dropbox waits for "file update events" and only physically connected drives send these events.

The best fix to this problem is simply to move the Dropbox folder to your computer's internal drive. You can use the steps in the following Help Center article:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/move-dropbox-folder

NOTE: The location you select is the folder where the Dropbox folder will be moved to, rather than the folder your Dropbox files will be stored in.

I strongly recommend choosing a location on the same hard drive as your operating system as Dropbox won't work correctly should the Dropbox folder ever become inaccessible. 

More information on our desktop app's requirements can be found below:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/system-requirements

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any more questions!

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

DROPBOX with nas WD

New member | Level 2
 Hello, last week I activated dropbox on my WD Mycloud EX2100 NAS, after copying some folders from another folder on the NAS I noticed that as the files are synchronized even on DROPBOX web the creation date and all those available in the attributes of all files is changed irrevocably with the date on which this operation is performed, eg file synchronized today even if the origin of the file is one year back now on DROPBOX is changed with today's date and the now where the system has synchronized it from NAS to DROPBOX, can you give me an explanation and if there is a remedy to reset the original dates of the files? Thank you for your attention, I look forward to some solutions. thank you

Stephen

Re: DROPBOX with nas WD

Dropboxer

Hello again Stephen - I just moved your second inquiry to keep things neat around our forums and have all of your queries under the same thread.

Have you checked my previous response yet? 

As per your files' metadata, you should be able to see those if you download and open the file(s) in question with the appropriate software on your computer. 

Let me know of any updates @Stefano3!

Walter

Re: DropBox on Asustor NAS - slow syncronization

New member | Level 2

Are you sure you set the folders that should be synced correctly (cartella impostazioni)? It doesn`t say 35% is done; it says 35% is full and the rest is free. I think it is not syncing any more.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

DropBox on Asustor NAS - slow syncronization
8 Replies
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post