cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Paper leave a shared document or folder

Dropbox Paper leave a shared document or folder

man-u-l
Helpful | Level 5

I am having a problem, I read an article about how to manage projects using paper, the article had a link to a sample Paper Document, I clicked on it and I was added to the Document list of people who can see and commend along with a couple hundred more that also clicked the link, now that I looked at the file I want to remove it from my Paper Docs, but I cannot find the option to do so, I can archive my own documents and eventually delete them, but I cannot remove or leave that document that was "shared" with me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I am new to Dropbox Paper, I manage my notes elsewher but want to move all of them to Paper, I will pull the trigger once I can also have offline access to those notes on my Mac.

59 Replies 59

LisainIL
New member | Level 2

Seriously. What is the hold up?
A document was shared with me.  I viewed it.  I'm just a "viewer" so I have no way to remove myself.  I show up in the "activity" of the document and I can't remove it from "Paper Home". 
Please allow users to remove themselves from a document that was shared with them. 

BlairImani
New member | Level 2

A person sent me hate mail via Dropbox Paper and I am unable to remove it from my dashboard everytime I access Dropbox Paper. I need an actual solution to this.

prelanov
New member | Level 2

So that means that file someone else shared with me keeps annoying me seems like i have no control over my dropbox security [link to external website removed by moderation] as mentioned no unfollow or leave option. I appreciate the solution for this..

Jane
Dropbox Staff

Hey there (@prelanov), could you elaborate a bit on what seems to be troubling you, so as to follow-up a bit more closely? Thanks in advance!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

radsmth
New member | Level 2

I really can't believe  this is still such an issue. I'm experiencing the same problem. A document was shared with me, I no longer need it, I want it off of my "Paper Home"  list of files.

Is there really no way to remove myself from the file - or at the very least remove it from my Home list?

I agree with a number of other people on this thread in that this is a fairly large annoyance for someone who collaborates with multiple teams. The lack of ability to organize files in these types of situations is grounds for abandoning Paper all together.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Hey @radsmth, sorry to hear you’re feeling this way; I appreciate the time you took to detail us your thoughts here & for that reason I’d like to see if there’s anything you could do on your end to resolve the issue that’s troubling you. I’m wondering if you’ve tried contacting the Owner on this matter by any chance. 

Please let me know & I’ll do my best to further advise. Thanks in advance!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

radsmth
New member | Level 2

@Jane, I appreciate your response. And I acknowledge that this is the proposed solution that you have been suggesting for the last two years. I was hoping that a company that touts streamlined collaboration and workflow effeciency would have a better solution than me continually reaching out to the files' owner to remove them from my own dashboard.

I'm open to understanding why this is not an option. But in the meantime, I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed that this feature gets put on your team's roadmap.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for circling back to me @radsmth- that's mostly appreciated; I’ve made a note of your detailed feedback in my report internally. Positive or negative, everything you're sending us over helps us better understand your needs!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Oliver M.11
New member | Level 2

@Jane wrote:
On the other hand, because only the owner of the Paper document can remove users ...

Can you please explain in detail, how that's possible? Thanks!

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Hey @Oliver M.11, sure thing; thanks for checking in with us on this inquiry!

If you are an editor or the creator of a doc, you should have the ability to remove users. Keep in mind that if link access is enabled, a user with the link can still access the doc even after being removed. However, if a doc's permissions are set to invite-only, he or she will not be able to access the doc after being removed. Here’s how you can go about removing a user from a doc:

Spoiler
  1. Click the blue Invite button at the top of your Paper doc.
  2. Find the user you want to remove
  3. Toggle the sharing setting dropdown next to his or her name.
  4. Click the Remove button.
Hopefully my post answers your initial inquiry & please do let me know if you have any follow-up questions on this discussion here & I'll do my best to further clarify matters soon. Thanks!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

kalin Explorer | Level 4
    Carwyn Helpful | Level 5
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    sani2 Explorer | Level 4
    Benedikt B. Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?