Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Dropbox Smart Sync, keeps on syncing through the week.

Explorer | Level 3

I enabled smart sync thinking it would be easier for me to find files and work on it. I spent over a day letting DropBox sync the files to completion. Over 500,000 files. 

Now that it was done, I try to open any file, it takes ages. Even if the file itself is tiny. 

Also, I notice that it keep resyncing the half million files randomly when ever I see the app. 

Screenshot 2019-07-12 at 9.16.36 PM.png

5 Replies

Re: Dropbox Smart Sync, keeps on syncing through the week.

New member | Level 2

We are having the same issue at our company, with a similar number of files.  Would love to know what is going on.

Dropboxer
Hey there @abhirao and @churlburt!

Just to clarify so that I understand the issue you’re facing a bit better, can you let me know if you’re seeing the app syncing, then “up to date” and then syncing again? Or are you just seeing the app perpetually syncing this large number of files? Also, please let me know if you see this just upon system start up or intermittently while using the app throughout your session.

Additionally, when you see this syncing occurring, are you seeing files randomly becoming local on your computer or do they remain as “online only”? 

Finally, as a first troubleshooting step, can you please check if you have any symlinks within the Dropbox folder? Symlinks can cause issues like this with syncing when the actual file isn't located within the Dropbox folder itself. 

Let me know what you both find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

@Daphne thank you for your response. I have tried to put answers where I can.

1. I have seen the 500k+ showing as SYNC completed at least once or twice. So I know this is a dropbox repeat because dropbox for some reason has forgtten that its done that.
  2. The app is syncing perpetually. Not always 500k, but a random number. this is the current number at this very instant as I write this - 250k
  3. It always drops connections and reconnects and continues. I am on a really good internet, 450MBPS down and 70MBPS up. So I know its not my internet for sure. 
  4. I could have answered your question about "seeing files randomly becoming local on your computer or do they remain as “online only”?" if only they would stick to one or the other. They are in the in progress status perpetually. Blue, round, circular arrows. So its neither of what you're asking.
  5. What is a symlink? I don't know. Please do not ask me to go through 500k files to find some linked files. Dropbox should have a better way to tell if I have them or not. And if I / anyone else who has these, there should be a way around it.

Explorer | Level 3

In adddition to the above, this evening I get this email saying:

Hi Abhijith,

You recently deleted 434692 files from your Dropbox account. If you want these files back, you can still restore them until 9/8/2019. After that, they’ll be permanently deleted.

These are the files you deleted:

I am now having nightmares that backups from years may be lost. How do I go through these files?

Also, I still see the syncing is still going on.

In hindsight, Smart Sync is definitely anything but smart. Maybe the biggest mistake I've made EVER of my file storage and back-up life. And I have files going back 20 years. 

Dropboxer

To see exactly what is occurring here, can you please check your Events page here and let me know if you see the deletion event mentioned in the email that you received?

It’s possible that if you’ve renamed or moved some large folders that this may be the reason for the email that you received as Dropbox can see these actions as a deletion from one location and addition to another. When you check the Events page, it will be a good way to see clearly if you have a deletion/addition event that could explain this. In any case that files may have been deleted, we will be able to assist with restoring them from our end.

In terms of your syncing issue, I’d suggest restarting the device to refresh the app if you haven’t already.  

Finally, in regards to if you have any Symlinks on your computer, you can run a simple command on your computer to locate any symlinks within your Dropbox folder. The exact steps to do so are in our Help Center article here under point 7, the steps are dependent on your OS.

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox Smart Sync, keeps on syncing through the week.
5 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey