cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Stuck at "starting" and "checking for changes"

Dropbox Stuck at "starting" and "checking for changes"

johndoe789
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi all,

Since 11th December 2018, my Dropbox application on my mac has syncing issues.

The status on my Dropbox application would either say "Starting" and "Checking for changes" when I restarted it. And it doesn't change even after leaving it alone for over 12 hours.

Sometimes the files will show up as "blue spinning icon" and sometimes it will have a "green tick", but the files are definitely not uploaded (could not see it on the web or my mobile phone).

Also selective sync is not working, it does not update the required folders.

Specifications:

Mac OSX 10.11.6

Dropbox 63.4.107

Size of Dropbox: 18 GB

I have done the following:

1. Reinstall the application (twice)

2. Reduce the number of files synced to be under 300,000

3. Unlinked and linked back my account (twice)

4. Leave it overnight to sync for 12 hours (twice)

I am short of just deleting my entire dropbox files and start over again but my internet is very slow and it will take me weeks to re-download everything.

Anything else I could try?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

johndoe789
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Lusil,

I found out what was wrong, my macbook SSD has been degraded recently (only able to perform 90MB/s write, 700MB/s read). Once I ease off the background tasks, Dropbox was able to start syncing the files.

I hope that in the future Dropbox app will include a diagnostic tool to show what's exactly is happening. This took me a week to figure out the issue.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Sorry to hear that, @johndoe789

Initially, I’d recommend checking this article out for a few more suggestions on the matter. Could you also please ensure that you don’t have any symlinks in your Dropbox folder that could affect the performance of the desktop app (check out step 7 of this link for more info)? 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

johndoe789
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Lusil,

Thank you for your reply. I did perform a symlink search and none turns up.

I have reduced the number of files in the dropbox again to sub 200k files and lets see how it goes.

Do you have any idea when the next dropbox update may come out? Maybe a new upgrade could fix it

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the swift reply, @johndoe789

I’m afraid there isn’t a specific timeline for the next update of the desktop app, but you can find more info here. In the meantime, I’d recommend an advanced reinstall, where you can apply the selective sync settings before syncing starts. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

johndoe789
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Lusil,

I found out what was wrong, my macbook SSD has been degraded recently (only able to perform 90MB/s write, 700MB/s read). Once I ease off the background tasks, Dropbox was able to start syncing the files.

I hope that in the future Dropbox app will include a diagnostic tool to show what's exactly is happening. This took me a week to figure out the issue.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for letting me know, @johndoe789, I’m glad to hear that you were able to get to the bottom of this. 

I’m more than happy to pass your comments along to the dev team for future consideration and if you have any other questions in the future, don’t hesitate to give us a shout. 

In the meantime, have a wonderful day ahead! 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

jlaff
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

how do I "ease off the background tasks"?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @jlaff

Welcome to the Dropbox Community!

You can find more info about which processes are running or are scheduled to run upon startup by navigating to your OS's task manager or activity monitor. This should give you an initial idea about the relevant tasks that are working while you're on your computer.

I'll also leave this open for any other users that may have any additional input on this. 

Let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime!

This thread is closed due to inactivity. Please feel free to create a new topic here. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    jlaff New member | Level 2
    johndoe789 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?