cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Discover new ways to use Dropbox or share your tips with other users like you. Get involved

no

Dropbox appears to be continuously "Syncing", what can I do?

Explorer | Level 3

For the last 5 days, my desktop Dropbox app has been continously syncing. It doesn't give any indication of how many files are syncing but looking at the blue icons it appears to be all my files that are syncing. The Dropbox version is 88.4.172 and the OS is Windows 7. I have tried exiting Dropbox and restarting as well as restarting the computer. I have also tried uninstalling a reinstalling Dropbox, none of which have resulted in any change.

Just wondering what the issue could be that has started causing this?

9 Replies

Re: Dropbox continuously syncing

Dropboxer

Hi there @Koichi N., I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with syncing!

Could you try the steps that I posted here and let me know if that helps at all?

These steps will fix any incorrect file permissions that would prevent the app from being able to sync them, which might be causing the sync to appear stuck.

Please just bear in mind that if you have a lot of files within your Dropbox folder, this might take a little longer as it applies the fix to your files. You'll need to allow a short amount of time to see if the sync starts to progress.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,

I have gone into the account screen as per your steps, but their is no Fix Hardlinks option. Instead there are only two items: Space and Account Linking.

Is the Fix Hardlinks option to be found elsewhere?

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @Koichi N.!

You'll need to hold down the space bar key when you're looking in the "Account" tab of the desktop app preferences.

To click the options, you'll need to keep the space bar pressed too so that the option doesn't disappear.

I hope this helps!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Daphne,

I've done both Fix Hardlinks and Fix Permissions and then have waited an hour so but there appears to be no change to the syncing. I've then run the command that identifies any symlinks - it has given me a list of files, they all appear to be backup files, however I'm not sure what I should do with this information. As far as I'm aware these are actual data files and not links to files outside of Dropbox?

Dropboxer

It seems you're one steps ahead @Koichi N.!

If you get results from checking for symlinks within the Dropbox folder, then these should be the symlinks rather than the actual file.

If you used the steps from point 7 in this article, then you should also be shown the full file path to where the actual file resides in your device.

I'd suggest replacing the symlink with the actual file, and you can set up the symlink in the file's original location. This way, you still have access to the file in the same locations, but symlinks pointing into (instead of outside of) Dropbox won't affecting syncing.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,

Just to update, I think I jumped the gun a bit as shortly after I posted my previous reply Dropbox began to download all of my files again. It appears to have just finished this process, however now it is back to the continuously syncing message that I was getting before, as above.

Therefore going back to the symlinks, I did carry out the process in point 7 of the article you provided. It generates a list of files but these all seem to be located within Dropbox and there is no reference to any other location for these files. Is there anything I'm missing / not doing correctly here?

Dropboxer

Thanks for the update @Koichi N.!

If you click on the Dropbox icon in your system tray, can you let me know if you see any error messages in the sync status there?

Could you just open the Dropbox folder in your File Explorer window and have a look to see if any of your top level folders are showing the syncing icon Arrows Counter Clock?

Keep me posted!

Daphne

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,

The issue appears to have finally resolved itself, I left it sycing over the weekend and came in to find it all up to date this morning. So it seems it just required quite a bit of time in order to finish its syncing (I think it had something to do with the Dropbox cache as it contained about 100GB of data on Friday evening whereas it is now empty this morning). 

Not sure therefore which of the above steps was the main contributory factor but things did seem to start happening after the Fix Hardlinks / Permissions step.

Thanks for your assistance with this.

Dropboxer

I'm happy to hear that @Koichi N.!

Thanks for taking the time to update me here too, I'm sure that others will find this helpful to know what worked for you.

If there's anything else I can help with, don't hesitate to give me a nudge here.

Have a great week ahead!

Daphne

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox appears to be continuously "Syncing", what can I do?
9 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post