cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Dropbox as iCloud replacement in Apple devices?

Explorer | Level 4

Hi all,

I have iPhone and iPad. And taking photos with both of them. And I would like photos to be synced between two. iCloud dows this seamlesly, however storage space is limited. Since I have DropBox for business with 2TB of space, it makes sense to use it instead of paying Apple for more storage.

I turned on Camera upload and it synchronises my devices with DropBox. Photos are getting uploaded.

But how do I get those photos back on Apple device? I would like my Photos folder to be synchronised with Camera Upload folder both ways. It seems it only works in one direction.

Thanks,

Rudolf

4 Replies

Re: Dropbox as iCloud replacement in Apple devices?

Dropboxer

Have a nice week @rudolflCoffee Thanks for posting.

If both your devices have the Dropbox mobile app installed, make sure to be logged in with the same account/email address on both your devices. If this is done, opening the Dropbox mobile app, you should able to see the photos synced on all your devices. 

To export these files out of the Dropbox mobile app and to your mobile or iPad device you need to follow these steps here

dividers Finally, you can take a look at this article explaining, how you can add Dropbox to the Files app on your iPhone or iPad

Let me know if this was helpful and get back to me with all your questions. nerd face

Thanks!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Dropbox only works one way -- camera photos are being uploaded into Dropbox.

I want an iClout-type behavious -- Camera photos on all devices to be fully synced. If I add a file on one device, I want it to appear in Camera photos on all other devices.

At the moment, i have to create separate directory for photos in Dropbox. This effectively doubles the space used for photos (one copy in Camera, one in synced Dropbox folder)

Rudolf

Super User II

That isnt possible with Dropbox I'm afraid @rudolfl - unless you can find a third party tool that will do it.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Dropboxer

Hey @rudolfl, there is a way to accomplish what you want. I understand the problem with backing up the camera photos in the Dropbox desktop application, as well as, in iCloud, is that you don't have enough space on your hard drive to copy.  

You can remove the files from the local Dropbox folder, with Selective Sync to overcome this difficulty. Here are the steps you can take to enable the Camera uploads feature

I hope this alternative works for you. 

See you around in the Community! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox as iCloud replacement in Apple devices?
4 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post