Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Dropbox causes Windows to be extremely slow in saving, opening, renaming and deleteing files

Explorer | Level 3

I have around 100.000 files, 500GB in total, in my Dropbox folder. When I have Dropbox running, however, any operation I make in any of the subfolders or files is very very slow. Deleting a folder takes a good 5 seconds, renaming too, loading or saving files take about three times as long compared to when I disable syncing. Also creating a new folder has several seconds lag. All this makes working with Dropbox highly unpleasant and I'm considering just chucking it out and using a NAS instead. Syncing is clearly the culprit here - it's as if the Dropbox app clings onto whatever action you're about to perform and makes it very slow.

My question now is: is there any way to get things to speed up without disabling sync? If I have to do a lot of folder operations, I just disable sync now but this is clearly not ideal. Also, I upgraded from a 2TB WD Black to a Samsung 1TB EVO 860 (even reinstalled my entire PC) but this helped nothing at all. I also upgraded to an i7-4790k last year but again, makes no difference. System performance is not the reason for sure. This is Dropbox freezing stuff for some reason.

8 Replies

Re: Dropbox causes Windows to be extremely slow in saving, opening, renaming and deleteing files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi Stevie, we’re sorry to hear about this, if the Dropbox desktop application is slow in syncing, have you checked out the following article to see if this helps?

This might also tie into high CPU/RAM usage, so I’d recommend looking over this article as well to see if any of the steps there help.

Keep me posted with any updates!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Dropbox causes Windows to be extremely slow in saving, opening, renaming and deleteing files

Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

It's not syncing itself that is slow - when syncing is turned on, it just causes massive delays when handling files and folders to the point where it becomes extremely frustrating.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
That’s true, which is why it sounds like the app is using too much CPU or RAM to make these changes.

Even if it isn’t, could you check out the last article I posted to see if it helps?

Jay

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

I read both articles but these are all things I've tried a long time ago but I'll try it all again to give you fresh data:

- if I rename/move/delete a file outside of Dropbox, the CPU usage goes up 1%

- if I do the same INSIDE the Dropbox folder, CPU usage shoots up to 40-50% for a few seconds

- memory usage is fine - we have 16GB of memory and Dropbox generally only uses a tiny fraction of it

Everything else mentioned in the article is not applicable - we store only files (no software), have no third party software that should interfere, it's stored on a local drive, there are no files syncing, etc.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
If a folder is renamed, it still needs to sync to the site, and can take time if there are lot of subfolders and files within.

Could you try closing the desktop app, and then modify a filename, then reopen the app just to be certain this is related to the app itself? Thanks!

Jay

Explorer | Level 3

If I close the app, of course it will work fine since that disables syncing as well. The folder I'm doing most actions in, only has 733 files and 132 folders. 

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for the info, would it be okay if we reach out to you via the email used in your forum profile to investigate further?

Jay

Explorer | Level 3

Sure.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox causes Windows to be extremely slow in saving, opening, renaming and deleteing files
8 Replies
2 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post