cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Helpful | Level 6

That's an extremely poor move.

xattrs are available on most Linux filesystems, e.g. btrfs is very widespread and the default on many distros.

There are also valid reasons to use ecryptfs, or to share Dropbox storage on a dual boot system on NTFS.

All this is broken by this decision, for no technical reason. I've been a Dropbox user from almost day 1, have recommended it to many friends, because I was happy with how the team embraced useful technologies and ws cross-platform.

Recently, things are going downhill, though - changelogs have become useless, client integration with Qt5 has become problematic, no Dropquests anymore, global deduplication has been turned off, and now finally you are essentially dropping Linux as supported platform, supporting only a few distros which use ext4.

Do you want to lose your users so badly?

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Explorer | Level 4

Please be absolutely clear:

Are you stopping support for encrypted home partition on an ext4 file system, which is the default Ubuntu desktop installation?

If so, I'm off Dropbox; sorry, company requirement.

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 9

Is anyone using hardware disk encryption and seeing the dead-in-November issue?  My Lenovo laptop currently has password protection on the hard drives through the BIOS and disk controller, but the file system I'm using is XFS, not EXT4 so I can't answer this question yet.  This might provide a path for European users to continue to use Dropbox and stay within the four corners of GDPR regulations -- Dropbox sees the bare ext4 (or NTFS, &c) filesystems, yet if the laptop grows legs your data would still be safe from ne'er-do-wells, thus satisfying the GDPR regulations.

Re: Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

Explorer | Level 4

Similar here. I'm a paid dropbox customer and will end my subscription if they do not allow encrypted home folders like on Ubuntu. Also, I'll eventually need XFS support.

Helpful | Level 5

Same here!

I'm a 10-year user using a encrypted filesystem with ext4 and I'm still getting the message.

I think Dropbox does not care for its Linux users, so I'm searching for alternatives and pCloud sounds good...

Some say that encrypted ext4 will not be affected, but it is still unclear.

What do you think guys?

Helpful | Level 6

Encrypted Linux drives are not supported. They are essentially dropping Linux support for businesses.

Helpful | Level 6

Another question might be: Even if you might be using plain ext4 right now, will you still be using it in a year? Or will you use encryption, or maybe BTRFS?

This limitation is just insane, it removes any chance of Dropbox being future proof. And no valid technical reason has been given. That's just in line with the lack of Changelogs. Political decisions without any technical reasoning.

New member | Level 2

I am getting the same error message, but I am just using with a MacBook running OSX El Capitan - not LINUX. What is the fix here?

Helpful | Level 7

@jablo

That's correct. It doesn't work if the underlying file system is encrypted. It must be unencrypted ext4. Talk about inflexible!

@Stephen S.15

"… password protection on the hard drives through the BIOS". Does the BIOS actually encrypt the hard drive with full 256-bit AES encryption or better? If not, it isn't satisfactory.

Helpful | Level 5
JunkBox?
Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?
1,011 Replies
2,914 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey