cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Error Message

New member | Level 2

Yes, I think pCloud is way better then mega. In fact I found all the services I used in Dropbox:

- Multiplatform sync (Linux, MacOS, Windows)

- Good android app with selective folder sync

- Large free account amount (16 GB).

You can test it for free.

Until I found pCloud (didn't know, a colleague pointed to pCloud) I struggled to find a Dropbox replacement.

Highlighted

Re: No more exFAT support?

Super User II

Let's keep this discussion in a single location please. You can use the following thread to discuss it further:

Re: Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

New member | Level 2

Any words on the ext4 with encrypted home folder? Will it be supported?

Helpful | Level 5

Unhappy user: +1

My home folder is in XFS. OpenSuse default FS is BTRFS with /home in XFS. No way I'm going to reformat my drive. So long dropbox, and thank you for the fish.

Helpful | Level 7

@dunkirk  schrieb:

Any words on the ext4 with encrypted home folder? Will it be supported?

Encrypted home folder is not ext4, it is ecryptfs. So it is not supported.

A workaround is possible: https://metabubble.net/linux/how-to-keep-using-dropbox-even-if-you-dont-use-unencrypted-ext4-workaro...

Collaborator | Level 8

Hi @Danne The key question is what filesystem your Dropbox is on.

Dropbox are saying that they will only support unencrypted ext4 filesystems. (There is, apparently, a workaround for encrypted ext4.) If you don't know what filesystem you are using then you could launch a partition editor (e.g. gparted) to see what you have. (Just don't change any settings within partition editor as breakages may occur!)

The big problem we have is that many Linux distributions DON'T have unencrypted ext4 by default. Dropbox is saying "We don't like you anymore" to these people.

There's also a concern that dual-booters may have their Dropbox files on an NTFS filesystem so that both Windows and Ubuntu/Linux can access it. But people are saying that the Linux version of Dropbox isn't happy about accessing files on the NTFS file system (although the Windows version is happy to do so). This is just Dropbox being ridiculously anti-Linux. 

So... either make sure Dropbox files are on an unencrypted ext4 filesystem. Or find an alternative. I've been playing with PCloud today and so far so good. Dropbox may soon be hearing from me asking for a refund!

Collaborator | Level 8

@GeertH that's the situation I'm in. Many good Linux distributions, like openSUSE, simply don't use unencrypted ext4 by default. Why would they and why should they? Do Dropbox is saying "We don't care about you" to such users. Isn't that right @Jay? (Jay, if Dropbox reversed its decision many of us would be happy. Some of us remember the days when Dropbox was offering Linux users the chance to use the as-yet-released Linux app if they/we wrote a limerick! Now Dropbox are making a major change without even bothering to e-mail us or write a blog post.)

Helpful | Level 7

@timvb  schrieb:

Now Dropbox are making a major change without even bothering to e-mail us or write a blog post.)

Right. They make sure to show you right there, when you are affected. I do not support their decision, but the level of whine and outrage-over-weird-deails is just unbelievable...

New member | Level 2

@Danne

Yep, my situation the same. I have my dropbox folder on an NTFS partition so see I can see it in Windows and Linux.

I actually have a selected folders of my Dropbox syncing in Windows in a different folder. It didn't like it when I tried setting up both OS syncing to the same folder.

So you could do somthing similar. Say you have an ext4 formatted home drive on Linux, you could have your DB folder on there (all of it). Then on Windows just sync specific folders. You if fact just sync the whole lot on your Linux and Windows partitions. Means double the space though. If your Linux file system is not ext4 or it is encrpyted, then you'll need to partition a bit off that is unencrypted ext4.

I'm gonna go for the pCloud option for my personal stuff and just keep a (free) Dropbox for the folders that I share with others. Bit of a pain, but not too bad.

New member | Level 2

I have used Dropbox on a btrfs filesystem for the last several years (first with LUKS and now with OPAL encryption), and have never had any trouble with it. If this is indeed the case, then I will be looking for other options as well: either self-hosted or another service.

As a side note: is this change taking place due to the usage patterns of Linux users? I'm probably not the only one that stores a few private Git repositories in Dropbox.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?
1,011 Replies
2,914 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey