cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

anonymous
Not applicable

It seems that Dropbox is going backwards to the 90s, when instead of provding integration with the many well accepted and higly used filesystems, they force the users to hack their way in order to make their service work(just like micro$$$oft).

What Can I say. I've just registered in pCloud.

It is so annoying and pity. I've invited people and have reocmmended the service through the years. Now I'll mention Dropbox only to warn everybody not to use it, if they don't want to be unpleasantly surprized by the next limitation, Dropbox will impose. 

To the dropbox decision makers: There is time to change your mind...

New member | Level 2

Same message here today.

Being on CentOS7 which uses XFS per default, I can see no reason to create an extra EXT4 drive just for DropBox.

Alternatives a plenty.

Funny enough, this is one of the reasons why I never pay for apps.

Once you like an app enought to pay for its services the developer changes something forcing you to go elsewhere.

Will move my stuff off and delete my account.

Bye bye, DropBox. It was fun while it lasted.

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Helpful | Level 6

I received this message and found that I had a computer with ext3 for [/] and [/home]. I was able to solve this messeged problem for me by converting [/home] to ext4 on that computer since there is an upgrade path from ext2 to ext3 to ext4 that works well for a seperate home partition. This will not work for many with Btrfs, ReiserFS, JFS, and ZFS file system and most who have these file systems will not want to convert.

The default file system for most linux distributions is ext3 or ext4, but many use other file system which also allow use of xattrs or extended attributes which is the reason stated here for this change.  I understand that most users are now on Android (ext4), iOS (APFS, or HFS+) or Windows 7 or 10 (NTFS: limited to 260 characters until the recent Windows 10 Anniversary Update).  Will Dropbox continue to actually work for any file system that has the extended attributes support although you don't want to officially support them?

New member | Level 2

@metabubble wrote:

@dunkirk  schrieb:

Any words on the ext4 with encrypted home folder? Will it be supported?

Encrypted home folder is not ext4, it is ecryptfs. So it is not supported.

A workaround is possible: https://metabubble.net/linux/how-to-keep-using-dropbox-even-if-you-dont-use-unencrypted-ext4-workaro...

Thanks! I'll test it out today.

Helpful | Level 5

Guess I am moving to MEGA screw this noise.

Why would I use Dropbox if I can no longer use the folder I share between Windows and Linux? I don't want to have to sync every change I make once I log into my other OS, my internet is bad enough as it is.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

I can verify. According to support, the dropbox devs have confirmed that LUKS/ecryptfs will not be supported, even if ext4 is the host. 

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

New member | Level 2
Shopping for another cloud storage vendor. This is unacceptable! I have multiple devices with multiple OS/file systems and will not be told by a "storage" vendor what OS to use. Always beware that 'clouds' do evaporate, this one is going to self destruct with this kind of crap.

Helpful | Level 7

so, in conclusion, Dropbox does not care about security.

I'm gone.  It's a shame, I just renewed my annual subscription last month.  But I'm ok with that monitary sacrifice if it means I feel safe about my data.

Helpful | Level 6

@Dan B.2Check a few pages back, some others reported they were refunded their subscription money after complaining with support that essentially the app will become unusable on their devices.

Helpful | Level 7
that's for the info, I will try this
Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?
1,011 Replies
2,914 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey