cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Collaborator | Level 10

@Jay Not good enough. You can't use FDE if you are dual-booting for example. As others have said, ecryptfs works now so why would it suddenly not work in November. Just cancelled my subscription after spending the morning testing pCloud and liking what I see.

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Helpful | Level 5

This is rather stupid.
Why not test for required xattr functionality instead of testing filesystems?
I'm using btrfs on my raid and I'm not buying new disks just to be able to move to another filesystem, so if Dropbox keeps on with this decision I'm looking for altrernatives.
Dropbox has given me good prices on cloud data and good functionality, but there's plenty of competition.

New member | Level 2

I am on UBUNTU 12.04 LTS. My dropbox folder is on an ext2 filesystem. I still get that message.

Syncing problems starting November 2018

New member | Level 2

Hello,

as many others I currently got a message that syncing will not work anymore because of missing system requirements (wrong file system).

My current situation: I have a dual-boot system with Linux (main) and Windows (few use). To use same data on both systems I have a partition for Windows System, one for Linux system and one additional mounted in both systems. Since Windows cannot read Ext4 it is an NTFS partition.

My Dropbox is installed on Linux and linked to this NTFS partition.

According to the new requirements you support NTFS/Windows and Ext4/Linux but unfortunately you don't support NTFS/Linux.

I fully understand that for security reasons (and maybe also to avoid spending lots of money supporting hundreds of file systems) you cannot implement all different combinations. But as the requirements say you will at least support NTFS and Ext4. But why not checking only the file system and not the combination file system / OS? Is there any need that we must have a certain file system on a specific OS?

An additional option would be that you let the use choose between secure and non-secure option and maybe show a waring message when using second option.

Thanks in advance!

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Jay,

Please ask your Linux Client PM and/or account managers to check the impact of this move with your larger Linux business accounts. SUSE Linux has XFS as our standard /home filesystem on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, as does Red Hat's RHEL 7, which are the two largest enterprise Linux distributions. Ubuntu with an encrypted home (standard for business use as other have pointed out) is also affected.  Enterprise customers will therefore be impacted by this move, and some of those are likely your larger customers too.

Best regards

Will S

Re: Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

Explorer | Level 4

In my case, I have a dual Ubuntu+W10 boot, with one drive for each OS (Ext4 + NTFS) and another, bigger one, which I use to store my Dropbox synced folder. I have recently seen the message that warns me that it'll stop syncing in November. Does it mean that, even though NTFS is one of the supported file systems, it'll only syncs on Windows?

Long story short, what can I do to keep having a Dropbox folder available from both W10 and Ubuntu?

Collaborator | Level 8

@wstephenson thank you for commenting. Dropbox need to realise the impact of their decision on major Linux distributions.

Helpful | Level 6

Sorry, but no, that doesn't answer the question.  What's the specific issue that requires Ext4 and only Ext4?  

Ext2, Ext3, Ext4, Btrfs, XFS, and ZFS, all have support for xattrs.  SuSE Linux defaults to Btrfs; CentOS (open-source release of RHEL) defaults to XFS.  What specific feature is being used by Dropbox that isn't supported by any other filesystem other than Ext4?  Why am I being told, as a customer, that I need to either wipe my home partition and spend several hours restoring from backup, or host just Dropbox on another partition?

Re: Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

New member | Level 2

So sad.  Goodbye Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

My computer at school will not allow dropbox so I have my dropbox folder on my My Book.  What can I do to keep this synching?

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?
1,012 Replies
2,914 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey