Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Explorer | Level 3

I'm getting this notification also having the Dropbox folder on a shared network volume (via afpfs) on a HFS+ volume.

Extented Attributes are set on all files inside the folder (com.dropbox.attributes).

slightly frowning face

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

Advanced Collaborator | Level 16
Hello @Dima,
Patch to ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd (and not only) can be made permanent if any additional attributes are set outside the pointed file. The patch can be put in a script with the same filename placed in a directory earlier in PATH environment variable. 😉

Helpful | Level 5
@Dima wrote:

Hey guys,

I have a really terrible hack, but it appears to work, so...

Dropbox calls statfs64 to get the filesystem type. Now, if only there was a way to change its return value to "ext4"... oh wait, there is!

[...] 

This (at least in a completely refined form) should be marked as "The Solution." slightly smiling face

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

New member | Level 2

It just seems normal nowadays to encrypt our files and filesystems. It's sad to hear that Dropbox is not aligned with the world as it's today and plans to drop this support.

Maybe it's time to reconsider the support for linux users... slightly smiling face

Thank you

Helpful | Level 7

@Frank B.22 wrote:
@Dima wrote:

Hey guys,

I have a really terrible hack, but it appears to work, so...

Dropbox calls statfs64 to get the filesystem type. Now, if only there was a way to change its return value to "ext4"... oh wait, there is!

[...] 

This (at least in a completely refined form) should be marked as "The Solution." slightly smiling face

The only reason why this can't actually be a solution is that Dropbox can try to circumvent our solution. Then we find another solution and they do the same... ad eternum. I'm not going to play a game of cat and mouse with them. I have better things to do.

Helpful | Level 6

@Dima wrote:

LD_PRELOAD=libdropbox_ext4.so ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

Nice.  I was working on an LD_PRELOAD solution as well, but I somehow forgot about the 64-bit statfs variant and so it didn't work.  winking face  However, I thought it'd also need to intercept and override its read of i.e. /proc/self/mountinfo files as well.  How else could it know if you had an encrypted ext4?  statfs won't yield that info (which is contained in mount options), so I wonder if there might be a little more to it.  (Unless when people say "encrypted ext4" they really mean ecryptfs...)

New Super User

@sandeen: I haven't actually tried encryption, but based on all the comments I see, I think people just use ecryptfs.

icb New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I agree that this is complete bull**bleep**. ext4 is ancient now, all the real Linux distros haver been moving away from it for years now. You guys need to do your homework before making lowest common denominator solutions like this. Linux isn't Windows.

New member | Level 2

As [I've stated publicly](https://twitter.com/naftulikay/status/1029783603155165185), virtually ALL Linux filesystems support extended attributes. It's how things like SELinux work. They're a crucial part of all distributions, and are supported everywhere.

Dropbox: I'm a Rust engineer, if you need me to write some Rust pro bono to write some kind of abstraction layer to get this to work, hit me up. 

New member | Level 2
FWIW cgroups might be able to do something like this.
Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?
1,022 Replies
2,913 Likes
Solved! : See solution