Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Helpful | Level 6

@regeya wrote:

SuSE Linux defaults to Btrfs

This is half of the story; SLES and openSUSE use XFS for /home and Btrfs for other mountpoints.

Back when the distro was called still called SuSE Linux (2002 or thereabouts) we were on reiserfs3 if memory serves slightly smiling face.

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Helpful | Level 5

@jay, this is not good enough. Full disk encryption is slow and inconvenient, not compatible with some desktop configurations (e.g. with dual boot), and for anyone using other file systems or ext4 with ecryptfs will require them to completely reformat their hard disk and reinstall their operating system, which can be a difficult, complex process if you have a lot of software installed and a set up that works for you.

Please reconsider what you are doing. As a number of people have pointed out, there is no logic to the explanation based on attributes, and in general there is no technological barrier to making any particular file system work. It seems this is a cost saving measure on the part of Dropbox, but you're doing it to throw current users using current file systems who are willing to pay you money for your service under the bus or else make them jump through extraordinary hoops. Please put the customers first and serve your community, who have come to rely on you for their business.

Helpful | Level 6

Dropbox is being incredibly stupid here.  There is zero technical reason to exclude a filesystem which has the features Dropbox requires (AFAICT, simply posix interface + xattrs) - those features are an incredibly low bar, easily met by many filesystems available today.

Dropbox, you're not so special.  No other major application that I know of arbitrarily picks and chooses filesystems they support.  You may as well make your next move "Sorry, but we only support Lenovo laptops" - it would make just as much sense.

New member | Level 2

This really sucks. 

Here is my solution. Create an account at mega.nz. Use the MegaSync app to sync my Dropbox folder. When November comes, I can turn off Dropbox and move to Mega. It's encrypted, and the free account has more space than Dropbox anyway. Sadly, it's not as prevalent, so YMMV. Mac, Linux, Android support is all I need, so it will work for me, but I'll miss the simple integration using Dropbox. 

If Dropbox changes their mind and does the sane thing, then I can stick with Dropbox. But I'm not reformatting my home filesystem just to have one application. I use Btrfs and encryption and I don't see a reason to change that - even for Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 5
This is stupid and I will be searching for a new cloud storage provider. My Dropbox on Linux is kept on a ZFS drive.

Explorer | Level 3

I'm getting this notification also having the Dropbox folder on a shared network volume (via afpfs) on a HFS+ volume.

Extented Attributes are set on all files inside the folder (com.dropbox.attributes).

slightly frowning face

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

Star Collaborator | Level 19
Hello @Dima,
Patch to ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd (and not only) can be made permanent if any additional attributes are set outside the pointed file. The patch can be put in a script with the same filename placed in a directory earlier in PATH environment variable. 😉

Helpful | Level 5
@Dima wrote:

Hey guys,

I have a really terrible hack, but it appears to work, so...

Dropbox calls statfs64 to get the filesystem type. Now, if only there was a way to change its return value to "ext4"... oh wait, there is!

[...] 

This (at least in a completely refined form) should be marked as "The Solution." slightly smiling face

New member | Level 2

It just seems normal nowadays to encrypt our files and filesystems. It's sad to hear that Dropbox is not aligned with the world as it's today and plans to drop this support.

Maybe it's time to reconsider the support for linux users... slightly smiling face

Thank you

Helpful | Level 7

@Frank B.22 wrote:
@Dima wrote:

Hey guys,

I have a really terrible hack, but it appears to work, so...

Dropbox calls statfs64 to get the filesystem type. Now, if only there was a way to change its return value to "ext4"... oh wait, there is!

[...] 

This (at least in a completely refined form) should be marked as "The Solution." slightly smiling face

The only reason why this can't actually be a solution is that Dropbox can try to circumvent our solution. Then we find another solution and they do the same... ad eternum. I'm not going to play a game of cat and mouse with them. I have better things to do.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?
1,011 Replies
2,911 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey