Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

Collaborator | Level 8

@Technical_John Actually, as a system administrator, I know the rule #2: "Everything fails". So no, I do not rely entirely on anything, but keep several alternatives at hand, every moment.

It's just somewhat sad to see a service nosediving for no good reason at all.

Helpful | Level 5

Ok guys, that's it.

As much as I used to love Dropbox, it is clear that they will not support Linux users in the near future. As an longtime user, I spread the word and got a lot of new users for Dropbox, but no more, now I'm going to do the opposite.

In the open market, we -the clients- have the option to leave and choose another service. So I have taken all my files to pCloud and it is working great! Let's hope that closing our accounts should mean something for the management team.

I'm closing my Dropbox account as soon as possible. It was nice while it last.

See you on the other side!

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Helpful | Level 6

@cwdillon wrote:

This is really bad news for everybody that uses a different filesystem. Ext4 is not even the default filesystem in many Linux distributions and changing the filesystem is not a trivial task.  

You're really asking a lot from me. 

It appears that Dropbox support for Linux will be extremely limited. It's not just limited to Dropbox folder having to be on an ext4-formatted hard drive or partition, it's limited to Ext4 with Ubuntu 10.04 or higher or Fedora 19 or higher. Nothing is said about support for other Linux distributions. They did add that LUKS is alright. 
Desktop App Requirements

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Helpful | Level 5

I think accounts are going to be cancelled in droves. I hope they do. Serves DB well for their stupidity.

Helpful | Level 5

Hear, hear. Same here. Good riddance.

New member | Level 2
Dima if this works you're a legend.

New member | Level 2

What would be a solution for users like me who all they have are XFS partitions, including big storage (3TB partitions) ?
Reformating everything is definitely not an option with this amount of data.

Some distributions even recommend XFS / BTRFS because Ext4 is an older and less capable filesystem.

Betreff: Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

Explorer | Level 4

@Stephen S.15 Thanks for the great tip! This sounds like a good soultion. We will look into this. Thanks again.

Collaborator | Level 8

@temmokan wrote:

What worries me most is the virtually total, eerie silence from Dropbox management, or at least from their chief developers. As if they don't really care about the uproar here, and of dozens of posts all across the Net.

Here are some of the developers and what they do and believe in:
https://medium.com/dropbox-makers
If you can track them down on LinkedIn, you could probably ask them directly.  (Then again, that might have all been written by the marketing team.)

Collaborator | Level 8

@Simon R. An interesting idea, thanks (track and ask). I will either do that myself, or ask a friend.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?
1,022 Replies
2,913 Likes
Solved! : See solution