Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

I'd like to protest this change. I switched to BTRFS for the reason that 1. It's copy-on-write, which means of a power failure happen while a disk activity is ongoing, only the modified file is lost and the original is left intact, and 2. BTRFS offers Filesystem resilience like the above mentioned copy-on-write, plus inbuilt file mirroring abilities and much more. To support only rudimentary file systems that offer zero file protection like EXT4 would be a huge mistake, as at any time, a particular type of failure (file corruption, but then the file gets a newer timestamp due to the corruption!) would trick the client into syncing the corrupted file into the cloud, ruining the backup. 

BTRFS is a superior Filesystem and support should be kept. Additionally, support for XFS (another modern Filesystem which offers similar functionality to BTRFS) should be retained. 

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Helpful | Level 5

@Jay - this does NOTHING to resolve the issue with ReFS, which will replace NTFS in all future Windows Server products.

Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, even though I use a supported file system

New member | Level 2

My Ubuntu linux systems have made me aware that I must move my Dropbox location by November 7 in order to continue syncing, and I am planning on addressing this along with upgrading to the new LTS version of Ubuntu before the deadline. However, I have a question: Dropbox is claiming that the location must be changed to an ext4 volume. Both of these systems already use ext4 volumes, but the /home directories are encrypted. Am I to guess that the encryption, and not the volume format, is causing Dropbox to demand a location change? Is my real need to unencrypt my /home directories for Dropbox to continue syncing?

Helpful | Level 6

This will effectivly make me stop using Dropbox and look for another service since I no longer can dual boot and point at the same folder.

Explorer | Level 4

@Omegajb wrote:

I'm paying $99 per year for a service that won't allow me to have my folder on a microSD card? I have a notebook with a 128GB SSD drive and I can't store my DB folder on it without filling the drive. This is unacceptable. 

I am (so far) successfully using removable media behind a mount point (on Windows) but as per @josergonzalez here I had to reformat the media as NTFS. The discussion where I learned about using a mount point is here.

Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

not sure if this will help somebody, but it seems you can use (free, open source) Rclone ( https://rclone.org/ ) which can "mount" Dropbox as virtual filesystem.

It can't do two-way sync and things like that, but at least it might help in the migration period over to another service.

It can also copy between different cloud services.

I'll use it to access pCloud from my ARM based devices winking face.

Re: Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

Helpful | Level 6

To anyone who might find this useful, Backblaze B2 + Duplicati is looking pretty promising (and much cheaper) for backup purposes.

If anyone has any good alternative sugesstions for syncing workspace files across linux machines, I would love to hear about it.

Helpful | Level 6

@Josenphd wrote:

I think accounts are going to be cancelled in droves. I hope they do.

Personally, even if Dropbox reverses their decision, I'm planning to cancel anyway. The casual tone and lack of justification coming out of Dropbox while making such an impactful decision is reason enough to leave.

Collaborator | Level 9

Of

@RAMChYLD wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to protest this change. I switched to BTRFS for the reason that 1. It's copy-on-write, which means of a power failure happen while a disk activity is ongoing, only the modified file is lost and the original is left intact, and 2. BTRFS offers Filesystem resilience like the above mentioned copy-on-write, plus inbuilt file mirroring abilities and much more. To support only rudimentary file systems that offer zero file protection like EXT4 would be a huge mistake, as at any time, a particular type of failure (file corruption, but then the file gets a newer timestamp due to the corruption!) would trick the client into syncing the corrupted file into the cloud, ruining the backup. 

BTRFS is a superior Filesystem and support should be kept. Additionally, support for XFS (another modern Filesystem which offers similar functionality to BTRFS) should be retained. 

Of course BTRFS shoiuld be supported! It's a modern now widely used file system as far as Linux goes. But we have to be realistic. Only a couple of percents of Dropbox users are on Linux. They know that and will just let us scream until we're tired of it. They have alresdy calculated how many accounts they will lose and are fine with it. That makes it even more annoying.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

Dropbox used to be such a friendly company, open in their intentions, and verbose in ther communication to customers and community.  Remmeber the scavenger hunts to earn free space?  Those were fun... when was the last time something like that happened?

It became clear when their changelogs become the generic "we fix some things, enjoy" that my time as a customer was not going to be forever... there have been other times that they've pissed us off, and I've stuck through, knowing the final straw with happen eventually.

It's never good to get too attached to a specific service.  It sucks, but they come and go.  Even if I did not use dropbox on linux (I do less so these days, but that's not important, I still have one laptop that it's vitally important for me to use), this kind of poor customer interaction would cause me to leave.  I've received a refund for my annual service.  Even if they change their mind on how to support linux going forward, I won't be returning as a customer.  They no longer deserve my hard earned cash.

Dan.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?
1,005 Replies
2,905 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey