Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Helpful | Level 6

@timvb initially I went w/ mega but decided to shy away from them because after reading some reviews I decided not to trust them.  I ended up spinning up a VPS w/ hostus.us and installing nextcloud.  Overall with this setup it's working well. $7/month for 600GB.

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Helpful | Level 6
I've tried pCloud (service), OwnCloud (service), NextCloud (self-hosted) and Seafile CE (self-hosted).

And I'm going with Seafile. It is so fast compared to NextCloud. Many services have trouble with a lot of small files. I can't believe I haven't stumbled upon this before.

They found a way to optimize by not supporting selective sync. To compensate, you can make and delete as many "libraries" as you want, and choose what libraries to sync with particular devices.

If you don't want to self-host, there are cloud providers that support Seafile. The Android app is also simple and effective. I'm replacing my gallery with this for pictures.

Dropbox is no longer linux-friendly. Goodbye!

Helpful | Level 6

I've done some small tests on pCloud and inSync/gDrive and neither seems to have the slick little notifications when files change as dropbox does, and they dont seem to nearly as fast to sync.

NextCloud / ownCloud / Seafile all seems like overkill for my needs and a bit different too.

However...I have to do something because I can not buy another harddrive just so I can dualboot.

I wonder how viable the 'ext4' hack posted here will be for long term solutions since I assume dropbox is well aware of it seeing as it was posted here.

New member | Level 2

this is a TERRIBLE decision.  the venerable, stable XFS *and* the newly minted btrfs both support extended attributes so i do not understand why you arbitrarily choose ext4, the worst performing filesystem of the bunch.  i can only guess this is some ploy to reduce the number of Dropbox users which will certainly work.

Re: Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

Explorer | Level 4

Hey Dropbox,

All the most popular Linux distros today (Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, OpenSUSE, CentOS) use btrfs and/or XFS as the default file system. And there are several other Linux file systems, which are all better than ext4. Why is Dropbox then supporting only ext4, which is neither the default, nor the most modern file system option today?

If Dropbox insists on supporting ext4, then I'll say good-bye to Dropbox. It was nice knowing you!

-- A.

New member | Level 2
Don't worry, they also are eliminating support for all fedora versions under 20, but their RPM file is still from Fedora 18. They literally have no idea wtf they are doing with linux on the client side.

Re: Windows client alerts me that it will stop syncing in November

New member | Level 2
That's exactly my thought.

I think it's time to part ways, dropbox.

New member | Level 2

Good Bye, Dropbox. You shot yourself with that stupid decision.

Highlighted

Super User II

I've corrected and restored some posts within this thread as due to people posting referral links there posts had been flagged as spam which had, in some cases, removed lots of posts from the thread. 

I've re-added them to the thread, but, minus the referral links so that the thread makes sense and flows again. 

Please note that you are free to recommend alternatives, but, referral links are not permitted as per Community Guidelines. 

Note:

For clarity I'm having this post marked as a Solution so that it appears at the front because I do not want peoples posts vanishing as I really do want people to get a solution sorted for them (via Dropbox, or, alternatives). 

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Helpful | Level 5

true,  btrfs is the future for linux. EXT4 will be used less and less in time. tumbleweed even uses GUID Partition Table (GPT) witch is totoally different than MS-DOS MBR partition table or ant other partition...

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?
1,022 Replies
2,913 Likes
Solved! : See solution