Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

New member | Level 2
Don't worry, they also are eliminating support for all fedora versions under 20, but their RPM file is still from Fedora 18. They literally have no idea wtf they are doing with linux on the client side.

Re: Windows client alerts me that it will stop syncing in November

New member | Level 2
That's exactly my thought.

I think it's time to part ways, dropbox.

New member | Level 2

Good Bye, Dropbox. You shot yourself with that stupid decision.

Highlighted

Super User II

I've corrected and restored some posts within this thread as due to people posting referral links there posts had been flagged as spam which had, in some cases, removed lots of posts from the thread. 

I've re-added them to the thread, but, minus the referral links so that the thread makes sense and flows again. 

Please note that you are free to recommend alternatives, but, referral links are not permitted as per Community Guidelines. 

Note:

For clarity I'm having this post marked as a Solution so that it appears at the front because I do not want peoples posts vanishing as I really do want people to get a solution sorted for them (via Dropbox, or, alternatives). 

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Helpful | Level 5

true,  btrfs is the future for linux. EXT4 will be used less and less in time. tumbleweed even uses GUID Partition Table (GPT) witch is totoally different than MS-DOS MBR partition table or ant other partition...

Helpful | Level 6

@Verwijs wrote:

true,  btrfs is the future for linux. EXT4 will be used less and less in time. tumbleweed even uses GUID Partition Table (GPT) witch is totoally different than MS-DOS MBR partition table or ant other partition...

Forgive my ignorance, but is MBR still used at all? All new Macs are GPT. My 4-year-old Windows laptop (now dual-boot and mainly running Ubuntu — mostly on btrfs) came pre-partitioned with GPT. I thought MBR was already dead.

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Explorer | Level 4

While I doubt that anyone at Dropbox is reading this or cares (obviously if they did, they wouldn't have instituted this change), but since syncing to my ZFS NAS is non-negotiable, after 10 years as a paying Dropbox Pro customer (a bit suprised myself, but yes, it looks like I've paid $990 of my own money over that time), I'll be migrating my files off. Good luck everyone!

Helpful | Level 6

True. Even my new Linux boxes are formatted in GPT. MBR has this really crippling drawback in that the largest drive supported is 2 TB. Using GPT solves that.

And yes, even MBR GRUB can boot off a GPT drive so long as it’s partitioned properly.

But it with the advent of UEFI, yeah, MBR is probably going to be relegated to simple uses like portable flash media. 

That said, I should note that this issue may have one side effect, in that third party unofficial clients would probably flourish. The API is available to interested developers, so why not? There are many third party programs on the Android platform that can access Dropbox. If that’s the case, it’s probably not hard to develop a unofficial Linux client- heck, just did a quick search and found that someone is developing a FUSE Dropbox extension which allows Dropbox cloud storage to be mounted as a local drive. I imagine that if that’s possible, then writing a better client wouldn’t be far off at all.

Explorer | Level 4

I really don't understand how it concerns Dropbox what filesystem I am using. Dropbox must be using standard Linux API (POSIX actually) to access the files and shouldn't care about the underlying filesystem unless Dropbox is going to become an operating system instead of an utility application. This was my professional opinion of a Linux system programmer.

Having said that, I would like to know WHAT THE HELL does it want from me in this situation:

$ cat ~/.dropbox/info.json 
{"personal": {"host": XXXXXXXX, "subscription_type": "Basic", "is_team": false, "path": "/media/disk/Dropbox"}}
$ mount | grep /media/disk
/home/common on /media/disk type none (rw,bind)
$ mount | grep /home
/dev/sda5 on /home type ext4 (rw)
$ ls -lad /home/common/Dropbox
drwxrws--- 21 spirit spirit 4096 янв.  17  2018 /home/common/Dropbox

It is ALREADY on ext4, still it keeps complaining and is not satisfied with any other directory on ext4. What on Earth does it want from me?

Star Collaborator | Level 19

wrote:

I really don't understand how it concerns Dropbox what filesystem I am using. Dropbox must be using standard Linux API (POSIX actually) to access the files and shouldn't care about the underlying filesystem unless Dropbox is going to become an operating system instead of an utility application. This was my professional opinion of a Linux system programmer.

Having said that, I would like to know WHAT THE HELL does it want from me in this situation:

$ cat ~/.dropbox/info.json 
{"personal": {"host": XXXXXXXX, "subscription_type": "Basic", "is_team": false, "path": "/media/disk/Dropbox"}}
$ mount | grep /media/disk
/home/common on /media/disk type none (rw,bind)
$ mount | grep /home
/dev/sda5 on /home type ext4 (rw)
$ ls -lad /home/common/Dropbox
drwxrws--- 21 spirit spirit 4096 янв.  17  2018 /home/common/Dropbox

It is ALREADY on ext4, still it keeps complaining and is not satisfied with any other directory on ext4. What on Earth does it want from me?

Hi @OlgaA,

I already gave similar answer: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Syncing-and-uploads/Dropbox-client-warns-me-that-it-ll-stop-syncing-...

I other words ext4 in not none.... The only thing that Dropbox check! Don't ask me why.

There is a single word for this: bull**bleep**s

You can use proposed hack earlier in this thread.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?
1,010 Replies
2,911 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey