Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

Collaborator | Level 9

@afroman_drm wrote:

Ok guys, that's it.

As much as I used to love Dropbox, it is clear that they will not support Linux users in the near future. As an longtime user, I spread the word and got a lot of new users for Dropbox, but no more, now I'm going to do the opposite.

In the open market, we -the clients- have the option to leave and choose another service. So I have taken all my files to pCloud and it is working great! Let's hope that closing our accounts should mean something for the management team.

I'm closing my Dropbox account as soon as possible. It was nice while it last.

See you on the other side!

Moving to pCloud as well. Signed up for 2 TB and are moving files there now. I will compare with the inSync/Google Drive solution I have run for a while, but it would be great to get off Google as well. There are som conveninces with Google Drive though. My Android file manager cane directly and Google Photos is very convenient to use.

New member | Level 2

It's been a good run with Dropbox but it's clearly time to move on.

I just cancelled my business account with them a few hours ago citing a link to this thread as the reason.

Alternatives aplenty.

Helpful | Level 5

Tested other services and only Google Drive fully supports non unicode systems with special chars, didn't like GDrive so I've "converted" my Slackware Linux to Unicode and voilá pCloud works like a charm slightly smiling face

Already migrated my data, next steps will be migrate my close family accounts and also the Portuguese Carnivorous Plants Association accounts, so only with me DropBox will lose at least 12 to 14 accounts at once.

This might be my last post, since I will cancel / delete my account in the next couple of days.

Best regards, move on...

New member | Level 2

For companies big enough to have someone who manages a server, as is pretty common nowadays, this is a good chance to switch to ownCloud/Nextcloud on their own server. Your data will be safer and you have full control over what you do.

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Helpful | Level 5

KEEP BTRFS SUPPORT..!!!! 

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

New member | Level 2

Apparently it's time to move then to an other provider.

Re: Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, even though I use a supported file syste

Explorer | Level 4

From my support ticket on this issue

"Ecrypfts is not supported.

Dropbox makes the security of your data our highest priority. We support full disk encryption systems, such as LUKS for Linux users."

So what do they mean "Ecrypfts is not supported." ? Seems to be working just fine right now.

Will it stop working on D-day or will they just not provide support for issues that arrise on such a file system.

Oh the irony of saying they take my data security highly when my solution will be to move the data to an unencrypted drive location.

Explorer | Level 4

I have been a customer for years because Drobox has supported Linux well so far. Now all at once the previous support of other file systems is discontinued? Why?

In November at the latest I will no longer be a customer of Dropbox and as IT manager I will propose a more cost-effective solution to my company. The move will be a challenge due to the short time. That's no way to deal with customers. Many of the people here who use Linux are IT experts in their companies and therefore advise their companies.

Anyway, I'm out.

Update: Thanks to the other comments I discovered pCloud. They are cheaper and fully support Linux. Thanks guys! I quit Dropbox, by the way!

Helpful | Level 5

I've been a paid Dropbox Linux user for many years - and have started receiving this painfully laughable but annoying notice.

This is not the first time I've seen a company looking to dump a product line use some bogus technical-sounding reason to shed customers.

After the dot-com implosion it became a pretty regular event.

What may have happened here, for everyone confused, is that Dropbox is under intense cost pressure due to the many other cloud storage providers... and developers cost money.
So, it could be that Dropbox management has downsizing plans, or already downsized, the last few engineers who understood Linux file storage. The only developer left is the one that knows EXT4... and that dev only got a 1 year reprieve. Expect a later update in 6-9 months that Linux support is ending entirely due to "lack of demand".

I appreciate that at least we got 1 quarter/3 months notice.
The choice is this: format a 1TB USB drive as pure EXT4 and mount it as a dedicated dropbox space...

or... give in and move everything to a cloud that can afford Linux developers...
or... just run your own especially since you don't even need xattrs to actually provide a fsnotify and sync webdav service.
I bet Box and other providers have already noticed the uptick in access.

Helpful | Level 6

I would like to switch to pcloud, but have some folders in Dropbox shared with others; and others share some of their Dropbox folder with me.  Once moved to pcloud all these files will not be accessible any more for me/other users. I will  have to convince them all (Windows and IOS users, not understanding my problem)  to switch too which is not feasible.  So I hope Dropbox will cancel their decision.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?
1,022 Replies
2,913 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post