Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

Dropbox deleting files that I moved to new location (plus Chat service is not working)

New member | Level 2

Hi, 

here are what happened.

1. I moved some data file to a new dropbox folder that I created using Desktop dropbox (not web).

2. In the tray, as usual, I can see that the file was moved to the new location as "Recent" activity.

3. seconds later, the file disappeared in the new location. Also, in "Recent", those recent activities are no longer shown.

4. I contacted Chat service. And he told me to check "Events" that I never know before.

5. So, fortunately, I found my files in Events. So, I downloaded them and added them again to that newly created folder.

But, I want to know WHY that happened because if it was my mistake, I would be careful. But, this is obviously what Dropbox did. If I don't know why this happened and if I was not made sure that this will not occur again, I can't trust Dropbox any longer.

Plus, I was with the support person on Chat. Now, all the Chat services are not available.  What's going on??

I'd greatly appreciate it if you respond to this with some clear answers.

Thanks

1 Reply

Re: Dropbox deleting files that I moved to new location (plus Chat service is not working)

Dropboxer
Hey there @zeonyw

At first, please note that when you move a file or a folder, it is considered to be a deletion from one location and an addition to the new one. Dropbox doesn’t alter your files in any way, which includes deleting them as well. 

As the members of the team directed you, you can find more info about any changes that occurred in your account from your events page

Nonetheless, I was able to locate your ongoing communication with a member of my team and passed your comments along to them.

Finally, if you’re not able to get in touch with our Support team via chat, to exclude browser-specific issues, try switching to another browser, using incognito, and ensuring that you’re not running any third party browser apps. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox deleting files that I moved to new location (plus Chat service is not working)
1 Reply
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post