Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Dropbox does not support Final Cut Pro X library files?

Explorer | Level 4

My Dropbox sync icons recently began disappearing from Finder.

They appear for awhile and mysteriously disappear after some use.

I've been going back and forth with Dropbox support and

discovered that Dropbox does not support symlinks.

The exact text from Dropbox support email:

"High CPU usage, poor syncing performance, permissions issues and quota usage disparities are a few of the problems that often come up when symlinks are added to the Dropbox folder
We recommend that you remove these symlinks from your Dropbox account."

This is surprising, but let's go with it.

I'm on the latest OSX (10.13.4) and Final Cut Pro X (10.4.2) - FCPX.

Seems FCPX always creates an .fcpcache symlink inside the .fcpbundle (Library file).

This leads me to believe that Dropbox doesn't properly support FCPX.

I notice that there is "mysterious" syncing in all the folders that have FCPX bundles due to these symlinks.

And possibly other problems ~ including the missing icons.

Seems this could easily be fixed if there were a way to "ignore" certain files by name ~ but that's not an option.  Nor is there an option for ignoring symlinks.

Am I missing something?  Haven't found many instances of this issue floating around.

Thx

-s

6 Replies

Re: Dropbox does not support Final Cut Pro X library files?

Dropboxer
Hey @scootermg, welcome to our community! 

Yeah, symlinks are an issue for us, and our troubleshooting cannot proceed while they are in place, unfortunately.

As for your idea about ignoring certain files, others have posed similar suggestions in our
Share an Idea section, which our team checks on regularly. Although I can’t comment on our team’s road-map for future product updates, I can make your comments available to them in my internal report. 

In any event, I would like to have a peak at your case, just to take another look at it from our end. If that’s cool with you, let me know your ticket number here in your reply. 

Have a great weekend smiling face with sunglasses

Sanchez
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Thx Sanchez.

Here's ticket #:  7938236

I'm midstream with the solution ~

but its sounding like removing the symlinks is the next (only) step ~

so figured I'd see if any other FCP users had thoughts on this.

Cheers.

~s

Dropboxer
Hey there @scootermg,  I’m a colleague of @Sanchez & I just wanted to follow up here. I hope you’re having a great day! 

Since you have a ticket ID, I’d kindly recommend that troubleshooting continues via the email conversation - rest assured that they will do their best to assist.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation! smiling face with halo

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Hello everyone,

I just happened from Dropbox this forum post in relation to the problems of Dropbox to work with the libraries of Final Cut Pro.

Comment that we are a small audiovisual company and all our work is practically in libraries of Final Cut Pro X.

Before moving to Dropbox Business we explained that we worked with Libraries of Final Cut Pro X and they told us that there was no problem.

We have two months with a lot of performance problems in synchronizations, problems with Dropbox icons that do not look correct, etc, etc. Nobody in Sporte Spain knows that there are problems with bookstores and neither should the commercial part since nobody tells you before hiring Dropbox Business.

We think it is a serious problem that Dropbox can not work with the Libraries of Final Cut and the solution they provide is that you only move Dropbox to the exported files. this option is not viable since you would not have a copy of the libraries.

Until today and during two months we have not received more than it was problem of the symlinks and we have never generated this type of links in a conscious way. Today was when we were told that it is a Dropbox problem and the libraries of Final Cut Pro.

On the other hand nobody gives us an answer as to whether Dropbox is going to give a solution to this big problem in the short term. The minimum would be to tell us if it is going to be solved and when. But on this subject nobody gives us an answer.

On the other hand, nobody gives us an economic compensation on the payment already made to companies that work with libraries and that our day to day with Dropbox is inoperative.

If Dropbox does not do anything fast about it, we think it would open to communicate on the websites that talk about Apple and Dropbox to give more visibility to this big problem.

We hope as soon as possible a response from those responsible for development about it and if they will offer us some kind of economic compensation to those who are suffering from these problems.

Thank you very much

Jesus Gomez

Helpful | Level 5
Hi,
I have noticed that Dropbox resolves the symlinks in the FCPX library to the actual file (and therefore duplicate the files).

Have you tried to use a sparsebundle image that holds the FCPX library and let Dropbox sync then sparsebundle? This way, symlinks are be synced as-is. Sparsebundles are contain block files of max 8MB each, which are ideal for syncing solutions.

The downside to this solution are:
- Extra overhead because data is written into a sparsebundle.
- Always must mount the sparsebundle in order to access the FCPX library.
- A sparse bundles does not auto shrink. After cleaning up the FCPX library, the sparsebundle must be manually shrinked.

Explorer | Level 4

Hi. Thank you for the response. I didnt know about sparsebundles. Thats an interesting solution and I intend to give that a try when I get some time.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox does not support Final Cut Pro X library files?
6 Replies
3 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post