Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Dropbox empty. Claims " You removed your access to the shared folder.."

New member | Level 2

I use a basic account to hold work files. For a few days I have been receiving alerts telling me I was running out of space. With GDrive that means I cannot add any more files, but the contents are left alone.

After a lot of searching I found a recommendation to look at the events log where I discovered "You removed your access to the shared folder XXXX". From googling it seems implied that this is a deliberate action. But I DID NOT do this.

None of the files are in the Trash.

How do I recover very important work files?

Cheers

3 Replies

Re: Dropbox empty. Claims " You removed your access to the shared folder.."

Dropboxer
Hey there @dsutlovich

In general, if your Dropbox account is over your storage limit, then syncing will stop. Files won’t be removed, and syncing will resume when you bring your account under your quota again.

Moving on to your concern though, please note that Dropbox cannot and doesn’t alter your files, including deleting them. 

For this reason, could it be that you weren’t the owner of the shared folder? If you weren’t, could it be that the owner removed you?

If you were the owner, could you please navigate to the Sharing tab on the website and see if you’re able to find the folder there? 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Hi @dsutlovich

Thank you for your reply.

Even though the account was setup by a former employ so i could access the work files, I changed the password, so only I have access to the account.

I checked the Sharing tab and it is empty.

I am hoping that Dropbox can access their servers and restore my data, as this only happened today.

As an aside, I was able to restore two folders I had deliberately deleted previously. It is the Home section that is empty :( I'm panicking because the folder isn't in my PC Dropbox folder either.

Cheers

Dropboxer
Thanks for writing back, @dsutlovich

If you don’t find the shared folder in your Sharing tab or in your deleted files tab, it’s very likely that you were not the owner of the shared folder and that you were removed from it. 

Please note that removing members can only be done by owners of shared folders and Dropbox Support cannot help you restore content in a shared folder that you’re not the owner of. 

If I’ve misunderstood your concern, please don’t hesitate to get back to me. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox empty. Claims " You removed your access to the shared folder.."
3 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post