cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox files do not automatically download to new computer

Dropbox files do not automatically download to new computer

dmp3357
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I got a second computer and I want to keep all my files syncronized among Computer #1 <-->Dropbox<-->Computer #2.

As a first step, I need to get my files from Computer #1/Dropbox onto Computer #2.  I have followed the instructions in "Using Dropbox to migrate files from one computer to another" (https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/move-to-new-computer), i.e. - install Dropbox on new computer, sign in to Dropbox desktop app with the same Dropbox account on both computers, etc.

However, the files on my Computer #1/ Dropbox do NOT automatically download to Computer #2 as the instructions say they will.

Can anyone help?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

wrote:

Thank you for your quick reply!  Can you tell me specifically where it is supposed to show "Up to date"?  I have not been able to find any such message on either of my computers.  Thanks!

Hover your mouse cursor over the Dropbox icon in the system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac) and a hover text popup will appear showing the status of Dropbox.

Also, on the same icon, left-click it, then click the gear icon and select Preferences. Do this on both computers and verify that the email address listed on each one is the same. If they're not, you're signed in to two different Dropbox accounts and that's why files on computer 1 aren't syncing to computer 2.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @dmp3357,

Thanks for reaching out about this!

One thing to check first is that you are actively running the desktop app on both computers and it is showing "Up to date" to be fully synced and able to access all of your files. When you first link a new computer to your account ( by downloading, installing and logging into the desktop app) the app should start syncing changes and indexing your files - this could take some time but the files will eventually sync to your computer. Once the app's icon shows "Up to date" you should be able to access your files normally. 

I hope this helps and please let us know what you find. If this persists, please send us more information surrounding your case.

Cheers

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

dmp3357
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank you for your quick reply!  Can you tell me specifically where it is supposed to show "Up to date"?  I have not been able to find any such message on either of my computers.  Thanks!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

wrote:

Hover your mouse cursor over the Dropbox icon in the system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac) and a hover text popup will appear showing the status of Dropbox.

Also, on the same icon, left-click it, then click the gear icon and select Preferences. Do this on both computers and verify that the email address listed on each one is the same. If they're not, you're signed in to two different Dropbox accounts and that's why files on computer 1 aren't syncing to computer 2.

RomanyWelson
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have the same problem, I cant move, copy or open the files unless Make it Local.

in my Computer #1 if it is online only, when I double Click on it ==> automatic download and open.

that does not happen in Computer #2.

By the Way, the Dropbox Icon shows "Up to date"

How can I fix that !!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Do you get an error or anything similar @RomanyWelson? Could you share a screenshot so as to have a visual of the matter as well? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for that @RomanyWelson - I appreciate it.

Nonetheless, I wasn't able to see the video from your shared link so I've just reached out via email (thus creating a ticket for you with ID:8885888 ) so we can have a further look into this with all of my tools available. 

When you get the chance, please take a look at your inbox for my message and we'll take it from there.

Thanks again and happy Monday!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    RomanyWelson Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?