cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox files no longer inherit folder permissions

Dropbox files no longer inherit folder permissions

rjwb
Helpful | Level 7

Within my Dropbox folder, I have sub-folders with different Windows ACL permissions. Up until recently, whenever Dropbox synced a file it inherited its folder permissions perfectly.

Now it no longer does. It overrides the folder permissions and sets all file permissions to something completely different - Full Control for admins and Read/Read & Execute for users.

Is there any way to get back to the old days - when Dropbox respected the inheritance of ACL permissions to all files in each folder?

105 Replies 105

KiwiMark
Explorer | Level 4

I also have the same problem. Files are synced from a remote user but specific inheritable permissions are not applied.  This applies to every file that is synced into the folder rather than saved into the folder. My symptoms are exactly the same as @rjwb.

KiwiMark
Explorer | Level 4

@rjwb - what version of Windows are you running on the PC that has the inheritable permissions?

I'm getting the problem with Win 10 v1903 and DB 85.4.155

But works ok on Win 10 v1809 and DB 86.4.146

and ok on Win Server v1607

rjwb
Helpful | Level 7

@KiwiMark My problem machine is Windows Server 2012 R2 running DB 85.4.155

None of my machines have DB 86.4.146 - is that an official release?

KiwiMark
Explorer | Level 4

I just updated the machine with DB v85 to v86 (latest stable build) - but it didn't solve the problem.

rjwb
Helpful | Level 7

Agree - my machines updated over the weekend to v86. I just tested a couple of files and the problem of permissions being overwritten is still there.

JeroenV
New member | Level 2

I'm also having the same problem, thought it would be good to mention. Hope it will be fixed soon.

rjwb
Helpful | Level 7

I have a nasty feeling we are going to be told that this change has been made intentionally and we are stuck with it 🙂

rjwb
Helpful | Level 7

@Stiggbert @KiwiMark @JeroenV 

As I predicted, the support case has been closed as follows:

Upon further investigation of your specific case, it's no longer possible to move forward with additional support.

While we support a variety of operating systems, we are currently unable to support Server versions. This doesn't mean that you won't be able to use Dropbox at all, this only means that for this particular type of setup and operating system, we're not able to provide further support.

Please keep an eye on our system requirements page for updates about new supported operating systems:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/system-requirements

I'm sorry we cannot be more helpful.

If you have any other Dropbox questions, just let me know.

dmasters
Explorer | Level 4

Having the same problem on windows 10 pro, anyone find a solution for the non server people here?

Leo22
New member | Level 2

I Have The Same Problem With Win10.Anyone find a Solution Or Not :thinking:

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

rjwb Helpful | Level 7
    dragoner Helpful | Level 5
    KiwiMark Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?