Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Dropbox full (need help)

New member | Level 2

I have done some research about my issue a lot and its frustrating since I still cant fix my situation. although it seems like a common problem then there are no solution in my case. anyway the problem is similar- i have freed enough space but still my dropbox shows full (188%(16.43gb) of 8.7gb used). CTRL+A my laptop whole content of dropbox and it shows 4.17gb. When I delete the files I choose the option that delete these from every device. I checked my dropbox.com page as well. There are no additional files more than I have on my laptop folder (so there are only about these 4gb of files). I have checked the deleted files online and deleted these permanently. Also I have unlinked all bigger files that have been shared with me. i have dropbox linked with 3 devices (laptop, pc and phone). Only issue that I see that on my pc dropbox, there might be large files that is linked with my account. But since I haven’t used it for a long time since my graphic card crashed and haven’t bought a new one then I cant get access there. But still i should be able to delete files via online or something although as I mentioned then the online dropbox shows only the same files I do have on my laptop that I use daily. NB: lastly I tried this trial business account and I thought after that expired it will refresh my account but still the problem remained. sc.JPGsc2.JPG

15 Replies

Re: Dropbox full (need help)

New member | Level 2

I did unlink my PC. so this should not be also a problem. this here shows that i have so many personal files. but where these are.... situation is still the same. :(sc.JPG

Dropboxer

Hi @kuldark - welcome to our Community!

From what I gather from your screenshot of your account's plan tab, there must be a shared folder that's taking up space on your account; thus putting you over quota. You probably haven't removed all of the shared folders taking up space on your account; I'd suggest reviewing your files and folders on our website again to clarify if this is the case.

If your Dropbox account is over quota then only syncing stops. Nothing will be removed and syncing will resume when you bring your account under quota again.

To get your account under quota you can do any of the following (apart from upgrading your account): 

1. Increase your quota using referrals bonuses or other promotions.
  2. Leave any shared folders or Spaces that put you over quota. 
  3. Move files that don't need to sync out of your Dropbox folder.

In addition, your Dropbox folder on your computer is another folder (merely with syncing capabilities) and the discrepancy you see might be due to selectively un-synced folders, hidden files or simply because the desktop app didn't get the chance to completely sync the content of your account. 

Moreover, deleted files don't count against your storage quota, so permanently deleting them won’t free up space. 

I hope this helps and please keep me posted on your progress Kuldar!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Shared folders cant consume that much space -based on the dropbox plan picture i shared before (shared files consume about 4gb and regular files 12gb). also, i deleted every folder, link, and files under "Sharing" tab on dropbox.com. that said i followed your advice to review once more my files under the Home tab on the website and i did find many old files that were synced about 29days ago from my PC (last time when i used my PC  after what it crashed again). Interesting is that why these haven't been synced with my laptop and don't show under the Files tab on the website. (i looked for hidden files also in my laptop dropbox folder but i didnt find anything interesting rather than cache folder. total dropbox size was the same as before). anyway -- im going to start deleting these one by one that i found under home tab - since i can't delete these by bulk (can't see any option for that- annoying!!!!). let you know if i can free up all the space or not.sc.JPG

Star Collaborator | Level 19

Hi @kuldark,

Have you took a look on your "Shared" to see what's there? thinking face

Hope this gives direction. winking face

New member | Level 2

as i said before then i have deleted everything from there. sc.JPG

Ok, What is the plan page content now (after you have deleted everything)?

New member | Level 2

regular file size is decreasing. shared files is still the same.

but it seems like this is helping now what i mentioned before #deleting old files under Home menu (dropbox.com). Still, a mystery why i can see these only there and not under Files menu or in my laptop dropbox. and it is really annoying to delete these thousands of files one by one. isnt there an option to delete by bulk?

@Walter, Is this possible: No shared anything and shared files (4.42GB) in same time?

@kuldark, Are you sure you are looking on same account? thinking face

New member | Level 2

there are many odd things here. although i deleted everything under shared menu then i didnt delete shared files from my laptop. on the website there wasnt listed every shared folder that i have on my laptop(manually i checked the size then there is 3.5gb of shared files)- these ones i would like to keep.sc.JPG

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox full (need help)
15 Replies
3 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post