cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Dropbox is downloading tens of thousands of files

Dropboxer

Hey @SF76, I'll do my best to help! 

If you're still having trouble, to make sure we're on the same page, could you please send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what you see when you hover over your menu bar

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

I have exactly the same issue. It's been going on for weeks that each time dropbox finishes to download 60k+ files, it starts again. It takes days to download during which dropbox will very quickly drain the battery of my Macbok pro. I've repaired permissions, restarted laptop, updated and reinstalled app to no avail. 

Dropboxer

Hey there @ingo1807, thanks for writing in. 

Since you mention that you experience battery drainage during syncing, I'd recommend checking out this article for some suggestions on how to tackle it. 

I've also found your support interaction that you have with a member of my team and have passed your comments along to them. They'll get back to you via email as soon as they've got more info.

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hello Lusil,

Sorry, it took me a few days to get back to you.

I am attaching a screenshot of what I see immediateluy after the MacBook boots and I login into my account.

The 4305 files are completely out of any possible realistic scenario grinning face

Thank you,
SF

Dropbox Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 14.56.23.png

Dropboxer

It's great to hear from you again, @SF76

Out of curiosity, could you please have a look at which files are syncing when you boot your computer by having a quick look through your Dropbox folder? More specifically, could you give me a few examples of file types and if they're shared?

Also, could it be a third party app, like a security app, affecting the syncing process? Could you try temporarily disabling your antivirus and see if that makes a difference?

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil

Explorer | Level 3

Hi, I have same problem. Tried to update to newest version of desktop app but get an older version installed (86.4.146), there´s no way to choose version. Sometimes it says uploading 2899 files, sometimes 5000 files, sometimes 12000 files even tough I´ve only added a hand full of files.

I send dropbox links to clients all the time and they can´t open them, the webpage that opens says "files are uploading" when they try even though the files are marked green on my end. 

/Eric

Dropboxer

Hey @EricStrom, thanks for nudging us on this thread - I'd be more than happy to help!

At first, the latest stable version of the desktop app is 86.4.146, so you don't need to worry that there's an older version installed. 👍 

As for the files that you're having trouble with, could you please let me know a few examples of file types? 

A screenshot (without any personal info) of the error message would also be helpful. 

Keep me posted!

Lusil

Helpful | Level 5

I contributed to this thread earlier, so I'm back to answer what file types are involved: All my files regardless of file type -- .doc, .docx, .xls, .ppt, .txt, .pdf, .mp3, .dat and more.

In contrast to what EricStrom reported, the number of files which Dropbox is trying to dowload is consistent every time.

Furthermore, I don't get any error message; Dropbox just says it is trying to download thousands of files yet never makes any progress.

New member | Level 2

Hi there. I have this exact problem myself. Since using my computer last week, I might have added some ~5-6 files. Now it's trying to download 31k files.

Is there an update on this issue? Seems like it's happening to a lot of people.

Dropboxer

Hey @Reems, thanks for nudging us here! 

Out of curiosity, are there any error messages shown when you click on your Dropbox icon next to your computer's clock?

Could you also send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what you see?

Keep me posted!

Lusil

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox is downloading tens of thousands of files
45 Replies
6 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey