Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Dropbox is downloading tens of thousands of files

Explorer | Level 3

Yesterday, I accidentally erased a shared folder from my desktop app that contained like 25,000 files. I went online and restored the full folder. It took a couple of hours. However, Dropbox's desktop app started downloading tens of thousands of files (Like 180,000) and four hours later there were still like 179,000 files to go. We do not have these many files in the shared folder. I turned off my computer. 

This morning it started downloading all the 180,000 files again. It has been almost 8 hours and it is at 169,000 approx. When I turned on the laptop, it also indexed and uploaded several files - the normal update process. 

I am using the desktop app version 67.4.83. I use a Dell Inspiron 13 7000 Series. 

What can I do to fix this?

Thank you

Capture.JPG

25 Replies

Re: Dropbox is downloading tens of thousands of files

Dropboxer
Sorry to hear that, @bserrano, and thanks for the screenshot! Definitely provides a better understanding of what you’re seeing. 

In order to have a more in-depth look into this matter together, I’ve sent you an email to the email address associated with your Forum profile. Please check your inbox for my latest message. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil,

I replied to your email on Friday. 

During the weekend I went online and unlinked my desktop from my Dropbox account, uninstalled the Dropbox app, installed it again and linked the account again. However, I am still having the same issueCapture.JPG

Dropboxer
Thanks for trying out some additional troubleshooting steps, @bserrano

I’ve followed up to your email so please check your inbox and we’ll take it from there. Thanks in advance! 

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

I'm having same issue- i've reinstalled, advanced reinstall, disable windows defender, uninstall norton, disconnect/reconnect device and nothing is working. please help asap

Dropboxer
Sorry to hear that, @lajozi

Since you’ve carried out some initial troubleshooting, we’d have to continue this discussion via email. 

I was able to locate your request and can see that it’s been forwarded to our specialized team. As such, I’ve passed your comments along to them, and they’ll get back to you when they have more info as soon as possible.

If you have any further info or queries regarding this, please direct them to the email interaction you have with them so as to efficiently troubleshoot. 

Thank you in advance! 

Lusil

Explorer | Level 4

I do not see the solution to this problem.  I have the same problem

Dropboxer
Hey there @Ineedhelp, sorry to hear that. 

Could you please give me some info on this so as to have a better understanding of your concern? For example, are you getting any error messages? If so, could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what it says, along with another one of what your Dropbox icon shows when you click on it?

Any additional details would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

Lusil

Helpful | Level 5

I am experiencing a similar problem. I am using the free individual version of Dropbox (release 82.4.155). The Dropbox popup says it is indexing 5 files, uploading 3 files, and downloading 8,933 files -- estimated to be complete in "100+ days" (heh). It appears, however, to be stalled because those figures are not changing.

For years Dropbox has simply uploaded new or revised files from my computer's Dropbox folder. Now suddenly it is attempting to download those thousands of files none of which I requested. My Dropbox folder is still intact (i.e. not missing those thousands of files) so I can see no reason for Dropbox to download them.

I have unlinked and relinked Dropbox, but the problem persists. There are no error messages.

Helpful | Level 5

... I should have stated in the above post that I have had the described problem for around a week, and it has persisted across multiple restarts of my computer and of the Dropbox app.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox is downloading tens of thousands of files
25 Replies
3 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post