cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox is laughably slow. Arguably the worst file-sharing client.

Dropbox is laughably slow. Arguably the worst file-sharing client.

Rory S.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

What year is it? Did the Internet just come out? Are we still in the infancy of sharing files quickly and efficiently? Dropbox takes (literally) 21 hours to upload 7 small movie clips to a shared folder. How can you insult someone by asking them to upgrade on a service that is so terrible? I would never pay money to receive the service you provide. It is literally quicker for me to fly to my client in San Francisco, hand deliver them the files, and then fly home to Toronto. I could probably stay for a meal before I flew home, and when I got home, Dropbox would still be uploading the same 7 files. If your company does ONE thing, maybe you should try to do that ONE thing well. 

Your company is a joke and the service you provide is insulting. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

1) Because you've misunderstood what Dropbox is - it is NOT a 'cloud based file sharing service'. It is a syncing program. It is designed, and intended, to sync things between devices. If you were baffled by that then you should really have read what you were signing up to first

2) the limit is 10,000 files or 1gb of data for zips.

3) How would you expect it to work - you delete/move something out of a shared folder to a random location on your drive what is Dropbox meant to do? How should it replicate that change to another users computer? 

Thankfully nobody forces you to use Dropbox wsfilms - and after all, if you hate it that much you could always just delete your account and then nobody could share with you? Personally I wont use Google drive as I dont want them reading into my files to create adverts based on it or selling that data to other companies. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Ollie K.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Rory S.

Garbage.

I've used Box, Synct, Microsoft SharePoint, and a couple of others.

I've used Dropbox for about 4 years and the company I work for has used Dropbox for more than 2 years. It's better than any other file sync program. Dropbox's main strength is its speed and reliability. That's why it's still the most popular sync app even though it offers the least amount of free space compared to others.

If you have problems with Dropbox I'd suggest the following.

1. Your internet connection (at one or both ends) is garbage

2. Your computer (at one or both ends) is garbage

3. You're stupid.

Nwy 6.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Theres only a few main reasons why dropbox sucks to me,

it can't upload folders without its app

it have a 2gb download size limit

Thats why I prefer to use other cloud drives.

Google drive is way better than dropbox, sadly, its hard to migrate my files on dropbox to those drives.

wsfilms
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Agree with OP. Dropbox is by far the WORST file sharing system ever created. Nothing to do with speed and more to do with interface. 

1. Why does a cloud based file sharing softwar take up memory on a local harddrive. I remember the first time I received the "your hard drive is full" warning and being aboslutely baffled when I found out DB was downloading all it's storage to my local drive. 

2. Without the app running, it is IMPOSSILBE to download the files shared to you unless you do it one by one because files are collectively "too large to be zipped."

3. If you move a file, you remove it from the entire shared folder. I can't tell you how many headaches this caused one of our productions. 

You know who doesn't have ANY of these problems and 1000000000X more reliable. Google Drive. Have many TB's of data you don't want stored locally? Easy, drive has space for you at cheap rates. Too many files to zip? Easy, we'll automatically distribute the file sizes and create multiple zip folders for you. 3. Dragging and drop a file out of a folder to a local drive? No worries, the original stays where it supposed to be. 

Seriously, every time someone shares files from dropbox to me it turns into a god **bleep** challenge experiment which ends up with me having to clear my harddrive for space just so I can wait 10 hours for the files to download before transfering to a external drive. 

**bleep** you dropbox and **bleep** all of you people who use it and make life a living hell for people who need to get files from you in a timely manney. Literally, the worst ever.  

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

1) Because you've misunderstood what Dropbox is - it is NOT a 'cloud based file sharing service'. It is a syncing program. It is designed, and intended, to sync things between devices. If you were baffled by that then you should really have read what you were signing up to first

2) the limit is 10,000 files or 1gb of data for zips.

3) How would you expect it to work - you delete/move something out of a shared folder to a random location on your drive what is Dropbox meant to do? How should it replicate that change to another users computer? 

Thankfully nobody forces you to use Dropbox wsfilms - and after all, if you hate it that much you could always just delete your account and then nobody could share with you? Personally I wont use Google drive as I dont want them reading into my files to create adverts based on it or selling that data to other companies. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

d4e666
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have used dropbox, google drive, onedrive and years ago livedrive. I've had no issues with any. The only issues I have is that every time I get placed with another customer is: we use X for filesharing sot I had to constantly switch. I solved this with the simpeles solution ever and bought a NAS. I do have all accounts active just in case.  I do hate the fact that when I install dropbox that the folder must name 'Dropbox' and that this directory MAY NOT already exist. HOW ABOUT AFTER A CRASH???? I don't want dropbox to start the sync all over again just because i point it to an existing folder I happened to name DropBox => look for the capital B and dropbox complained already.

WHY THE **bleep** DO YOU ALL CARE ABOUT THE CASE SENSITIVITY?? ARE WE STILL IN THE 1980's???? o is it because Java developers are TOO **bleep**ING LAZY to write a single case insensitive string comparer???? oh no wait... they all belilve THEY are the tru inventors of the wheel over and over and over and over and over and over ... Do I have to continue that tis is a community issue justbecause THEY think they have an "academic level programming language"

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Find Answers section here. ]
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

d4e666 New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    wsfilms New member | Level 2
    Nwy 6. New member | Level 1
    Ollie K. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?