cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox is stuck syncing after an update, what can I do?

Dropbox is stuck syncing after an update, what can I do?

Shawn B.14
Helpful | Level 6

I have the "Dropbox Plus" subscription and I run the client on 4 computers.

Yesterday (Monday, 13-Jan-2020) I signed onto my desktop (which is always on) and has a full local sync of my dropbox that a number of new files added Saturday had big red Xs on them -- JPEGs I had scanned Saturday and which were in sync to my laptop on Sunday morning.

I checked my other workstation (also always on) and Dropbox wasn't even running.  I launched it, and it pretty immediately ran a "one time update".   Once this completed, it appeared to go into a full-on sync mode, indexing thousands of files and downloading thousands more (my total dropbox footprint is ~17k files, 600 GB of data).  This has been running for 24 hours without making any apparent progress, despite the drive being materially in sync with my first workstation (using BeyondCompare to check).  Plus not enough system activity to indicate any actual indexing or download was taking place.

I paused workstation 2, uninstalled dropbox on workstation 1 and reinstalled it.  Just prior to this, workstation 1 was "stuck" uploading 2 files and downloading 7 files, which it had been on since last night.

Workstation 1 now shows "indexing" for around 8k files and "downloading" for 9k files.  Trouble is, Resource Monitor doesn't show disk activity or network activity for that kind of activity.

What's going on?  I was perfectly in sync as of Saturday morning and over the last 24 hours it's gotten bad.

Oddly, my laptop ("laptop 1") is apparently fine, showing more or less normal sync status as far as I can tell (and is on build 88.4.172).

165 Replies 165

hdmf
Helpful | Level 6
I finally managed to fix this by unlinking my account and deleting everything online and starting again. Not ideal but fixed it up quickly. Upload speeds were fast. For some reason db was reporting i was using 50% of my 2tb pro acct - which went up to 98% during this sync issue. Reporting correctly now.
I'm glad it's working again but very unimpressed with Dropbox's lack of acknowledgement there are/were severe problems for many users

marcoross83
Helpful | Level 5

so, after one month, dropbox and boxifier staff still don't have any solution? unbelievable!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hello everyone!

As there many suggestions here and fixes working for a few of you and not others, I'd like to suggest contacting Support here if you're still having trouble with this.

You'll receive a ticket number (eg. #1234567) which you can let me know here and I'll follow up with you via email, where we can look into this with more device specific info.

Let me know if you have any other questions - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Server_Align
Collaborator | Level 10

@Daphne wrote:

Hello everyone!

...  I'd like to suggest contacting Support here if you're still having trouble with this. ....

Id like to suggest something as well.

MaxLebled
Helpful | Level 6

Well, I did a full reinstall of Dropbox on both of my computers and it did indeed fix the issue... there are still a couple of weird display bugs like "uploading 1 file" sometimes displaying during the initial start sync but other than that the 5 minute delay is gone.

marcoross83
Helpful | Level 5

But did anybody manage to make dropbox work with boxifier, for external hard drive (as it was always in the past years)?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

marcoross83 Helpful | Level 5
    MaxLebled Helpful | Level 6
    Server_Align Collaborator | Level 10
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?