Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Dropbox is uploading deleted photos and sending me "welcome to Dropbox" messages

Level 3

In the last several days, I have received various "welcome to Dropbox" messages even though I have been a member for more than 8 years. Then I started getting "Your Dropbox is full" messages. When I investigated, it turns out that this morning, Dropbox has updated my photo uploads folder (which usually grabs images from my Android phone and iPad) with ancient pictures from several years ago (October 2016 and newer) that should be deleted (I periodically clear out all the photos and move them to my laptop hard drive). I tried removing them from the folder (transferring them to another folder outside Dropbox on my computer), and there are still hundreds of photos trying to sync in the folder. I have temporarily turned off Sync and I am manually downloading (975MB worth of files) then removing the photos using the web interface, but I am trying to figure out the source of this larger problem and make sure this doesn't happen again.

Why might it be that Dropbox (a) thinks I am a new customer, and (b) is retreiving old photos that should be long gone from Dropbox's storage? I found a thread from 2017 that a similar problem occurred with deleted files, but nothing about the camera uploads folder along with this weird "welcome" messaging.

7 Replies

Re: Dropbox is uploading deleted photos and sending me "welcome to Dropbox" messages

Dropboxer
Hey there @kathla,

Can you please let me know where you were seeing the “Welcome to Dropbox” messages? Through the web or your mobile devices for example. Can you please just double check the account that is signed in to where you saw these messages? 

The most reasonable explanation would be that you’re signed into a new/different account which would result in uploading photos again as well as welcoming you as a new customer.

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Re: Dropbox is uploading deleted photos and sending me "welcome to Dropbox" messages

Level 3

Hi Daphne,

Thanks for your help. The welcome messages were sent by email to the account that I've always had. These are the subject lines of the three emails I received before I unsubscribed from getting more:

• Sent 5/11: Complete your Dropbox setup [all of which was done long ago]
  • Sent 5/14: Download the Dropbox desktop app [which I have already]
  • Sent 5/17: Organize your files with Dropbox folders

I just went on Dropbox on my Android phone, and it proceeded to upload (again) the photos that have already been removed from the camera uploads folder. It appears to think that some of the old ones (from Halloween, for example) were created on 5/18.

I hope this information helps. I definitely don't think it is a double-account situation but perhaps a glitch with the Android app. 

One other possibility, though it would be independent of the "welcome to Dropbox" messages which started earlier, is that I moved my storage of photos and other app data to my external storage on my phone. Could that re-trigger Dropbox to think that this data was new?

Thanks,

Katherine

Dropboxer
Hey again @kathla,

Can you visit the Getting started” page for me on Dropbox and confirm that you have indeed done the steps that you received emails about? Do you have messages forwarded from another email address of yours to the one that you received the emails to?

From what I know, moving the photos etc to your external storage shouldn’t result in uploading the photos again. However, since you mentioned that the dates had changed to a more recent sate (which I’m assuming is around when you moved the data), it could be possible that this is the cause. Is that the date you moved the photos to your external storage?

Hope this helps even in the slightest, let me know - Cheers!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 3

Hi Daphne,

I definitely completed all the steps of setup on the "Getting Started" page, and the email used for my account is not forwarded elsewhere.

I do think that the old photo files uploading was indeed prompted by my phone renaming and re-dating all the photos when I moved them from internal to external storage. Very strange!

So at least the massive uploading is solved, but I still don't know why Dropbox thinks I'm a new customer!

Katherine

Dropboxer
It is a little strange indeed @kathla!

To have a further look into the emails you received, I’d like to move over to our Support channel so that we can also discuss more account specific info. Would you mind if I reach out to the email address associated with your Community profile? 

Otherwise, if you’ve already submitted a ticket with our Support team, please let me know the ticket reference number (eg. #1234567) so that I can follow up there with the info you have shared with us here.

Let me know - Cheers!

Daphne

Level 3

Hi Daphne,

Thought I'd sent a reply earlier today, but I guess it didn't go through... You are welcome to contact me at my Community/Account email. Thanks for helping me figure this out!

Katherine

Dropboxer
I’ve reached out to your email address @kathla, please check your inbox at your earliest convenience and let me know (in reply to the email) that you received the communication.

Until we speak again, have a wonderful day and weekend ahead - Cheers!

Daphne

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox is uploading deleted photos and sending me "welcome to Dropbox" messages
7 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post