cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox keeps crashing and restarting itself in an infinite crash loop

Dropbox keeps crashing and restarting itself in an infinite crash loop

gswave
Explorer | Level 4

Since yesterday, Dropbox is stuck in a crash/restart loop, I'm on Mac OS Mojave. I tried: Installed the last stable version and still in the crash loop. Installed the last beta version and still in the crash loop. Deleted the Dropbox application and re-install - still the same results. I opened console - the last message Dropbox sends before the icon vanishes is: "Too many groups requested (2147483647). Can cause performance issues when network directories are involved" Anyone has any good idea how to solve?

18 Replies 18

LAkiyama
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I'm also experiencing this problem. I've tried configuring my firewall to allow Dropbox, and disabling the firewall altogether. I have no other antivirus programs. I ran the terminal command to check for symlinks, but there were none. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the app.

Most of the time the desktop app will just open and crash on loop. If I quit the app while it's booting, I receive this message. Any personal information has been replaced with [removed].

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 79.4.143
bn.DROPBOXEXT_VERSION: failed
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: ed9b356e-08a1-5932-a1ab-f3b40bb6de68
pid: 1279
ppid: 1
uid: 501
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='[removed]', pw_passwd='[removed]', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='[removed]', pw_dir='/Users/[removed]', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='[removed]', pw_passwd='[removed]', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='[removed]', pw_dir='/Users/[removed]', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 501
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='[removed]', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', '[removed]', '_serialnumberd'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='[removed]', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', '[removed]', '_serialnumberd'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
real_path='/'
mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: '/Users/[removed]'
appdata: '/Users/[removed]/.dropbox/instance1'
real_path='/Users/[removed]/.dropbox/instance1'
mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
parent mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
dropbox_path: '/Users/[removed]/Dropbox'
real_path='/Users/[removed]/Dropbox'
parent mode=0o40777 uid=501 gid=20
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
mode=0o100755 uid=501 gid=20
parent mode=0o40755 uid=501 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-resources/python-packages-37.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-resources/python-packages-37.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/5p/sn4xzlb51393q355k6472bf80000gn/T'
real_path='/private/var/folders/5p/sn4xzlb51393q355k6472bf80000gn/T'
parent mode=0o40755 uid=501 gid=20
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 766, in wrapper
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5157, in handle_register_host
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'set_gandalf'

chiaochun
Explorer | Level 3

anyone have a solution yet?

or any response from dropbox team?

I cannot work without dropbox,  I really don't want to switch to other platform....

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey peeps, sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this - let's see what we can do. 

As a first step, @chiaochun and @Johny79, could you try reinstalling the latest version of the desktop app (79.4.143) and let me know if that does the trick?

Also, given the error message that you see @LAkiyama, could you give an advanced reinstall a try? 

Let me know how it turns out for you or if you have any questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

chiaochun
Explorer | Level 3

Tried an advanced reinstall and reinstall the latest app.  It works !  thanks a lot!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

That's great, @chiaochun! Thanks for keeping me in the loop. 

Let me know if you have any other questions and, in the meantime, have a wonderful day ahead! :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

LAkiyama
New member | Level 2

The advanced reinstall worked for me as well, although I couldn't avoid resyncing my content.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Glad to hear that, @LAkiyama

I just wanted to mention that if you don't want to re-download your files from the beginning, you can choose the Advanced option during the installation option. 

You can find more info in @Walter's post in this thread

I hope this helps!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

davidmatos
Helpful | Level 5

Same here an different computers (all running updated Catalina macOS, but problem persists for more than a year). Dropbox constant connection issues/crashes/restarts are extremely annoying and time-consuming. Ignoring the issue won’t make it go away, you know?… It is however confirming the consistent unreliability of Dropbox.

MSenjur
New member | Level 2

advanced re-install also helped me. i was experience same error as OP...

Thanks, Bye

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

MSenjur New member | Level 2
    davidmatos Helpful | Level 5
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    LAkiyama New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?