cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Discover new ways to use Dropbox or share your tips with other users like you. Get involved

no

Dropbox keeps trying to download an Outlook *.pst file ... and failing

Explorer | Level 3

I get the message "failed to download [myname]@si.rr.com.pst" again and again. It's the Outlook file from a former account that's still (I guess) part of Outlook. 
1) How do I get it to stop trying to download?
2) If I ever want to access, or download, this file (one of 3) how do I do it?

Tags (1)
2 Replies

Re: Dropbox keeps trying to download an Outlook *.pst file ... and failing

Dropboxer

Hi @Slooch; welcome to our Community!

Can you please send me a screenshot of the exact error you get so I can have a better look into this?

While at it, please note that while it is possible to sync Outlook or Windows Mail .pst files using Dropbox, we believe you'll have a better experience enabling IMAP through your email provider which will automatically sync changes to your email for you, if your email provider supports that capability. IMAP is only associated with email providers and not related with Dropbox, so you'll need to check with your specific email provider for more info on how to set up or enable IMAP.

I hope this information helps and please let me know what you find! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox keeps trying to download an Outlook *.pst file ... and failing

Super User II

Do you have Outlook open, and is this PST still open within Outlook? If so, Dropbox will not be able to sync the PST file while it's in use. You'll need to either close Outlook to allow the PST file to sync, or close the PST file within Outlook (right-click the folder, select Close) and then restart Outlook so the file isn't in-use anymore. Basically, Outlook has a lock on the file so Dropbox can't access it.

Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to store active PST files in Dropbox. They'll never sync while in use and can become corrupted if you attempt to use them on multiple computers at the same time. Also, you'll find conflicted copies can occur as well, if Outlook tries to use a PST file while Dropbox is syncing it.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox keeps trying to download an Outlook *.pst file ... and failing
2 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey