Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Highlighted

Dropbox not displaying files properly.

New member | Level 2

The content of my dropbox folder is not showing all the files in the folder within finder. If a do a search within finder, the files are there. If I just navigate to the folder, the files are not there. This is really strange behaviour and has me very concerned since I've moved some vital files over to dropbox as a way to have automatic backup and access to the files on multiple computers. What is also odd is that the files are not showing online in dropbox now either. I have smart synch activated but is not turned on for this folder.

Tags (1)
5 Replies

Re: Dropbox not displaying files properly.

Dropboxer
Hey there @Ideasmith,

When you try to search for a file or folder that you don’t see in the Dropbox folder, can you hold the Command key and double click the file/folder to open the file in its actual location? When you do this, do you see the file located within the Dropbox folder?

Could you also let me know the current sync status of the desktop app? You can see this by clicking the Dropbox icon in your menu bar. If you don’t see the Dropbox icon then you can launch the app from the Applications menu on your device.

Let me know what you find - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

When I command + double click the file in the finder it just opens (it's a pdf in Acrobat). I can paste the link into safari and the file opens in dropbox.

My current sync status is up to date.

It's so strange. Right now I have two finder windows open with the same folder and they are showing different files. One listing is missing some files (shows a total of 26 files) and the other listing is missing other files (shows a total of 15 files) though I think all of them are physically there.

I just opened the same folder from my ipad and it's not showing all the files either. Just wanted to verify that it wasn't only my laptop having display issues.

This same behaviour is happening in the dropbox web broswer.

Dropboxer
Hey again @Ideasmith,

That’s strange indeed! Would you mind trying to find the exact file path with another step instead. While you have the two different “versions” of the folder you are looking at, can you select one of any of the files within. Then, press Command+i to open the “Get info” properties and you will see the folder path shown there. Please let me know if they are the same path.

From what you described, only one “version” of the folder is actually syncing with your Dropbox account, which you see on the web and on your iPad. The other folder I’m assuming must be in a different location on your computer. Perhaps an old Dropbox folder or a connected account (if you have a personal and business account both syncing)?

Hope this helps - Thanks!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

AHA... you're a genious! There is a slight name difference in one of the subfolders. One has a '++' and the other doesn't. I think I may have inadvertently renamed the folder and that's how everything got jumbled.

THANK YOU!

Dropboxer
I’m glad we got to the bottom of that @Ideasmith!

If you have any other questions or issues, you always know where to find us. grinning face with smiling eyes

Have a great day - Cheers!

Daphne

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox not displaying files properly.
5 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post