Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Dropbox reverted to older version and lost data/history

Explorer | Level 4

I have a file that I edit/add to everyday (a work log). It is in my dropbox folder (on desktop, set to smart sync, accessed on two different computers). I tried to access it just now, and Dropbox only shows a version from 8 days ago, with no more recent file history. I know that I have edited this file every day during that 8 day period, and that each time, all previous entries were available. Trying to access the file via the website gives the same result. Is there anyway to recover the lost entries/data from that 8 day period in this log? Is there anyway to prevent losses like this in the future? If not, I can't see continuing to use Dropbox. 

Tags (1)
6 Replies

Re: Dropbox reverted to older version and lost data/history

Super User II

If its on SmartSync then it is not stored within your Dropbox folder locally and so cannot be edited locally.

So, if you are editing locally I'd suggest opening up the file and doing a file-> open to see where its coming from and where its being saved to see if that gives you the most recent version. Obviously that'll only work on the machine you've been editing it from and not any linked ones.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 4

It is stored locally on one machine. When I use that machine and open in Excel (the file is a spreadsheet) it shows a history of editing the file until 8/2 and all these locations are in the synced Dropbox folder on that machine. That file was present until yesterday, but today when I opened the Dropbox folder it had reverted to a version from 7/27/19. Any thoughts?

New member | Level 2

I'm having the exact same issue. I've save the doc every day since 8/1, but this morning it reverted to the version from 8/1. Everything since then is lost and there are no "Previous Versions" to revert too. 

Dropboxer

Hey @zuckuss16 and @user123454321!

Could you both check your Events page here and check to see if there is a record of editing those files there?

Is it possible that the most recent version of the file was saved mistakenly in another location? I'd recommend doing a quick search of your Dropbox account for the file name to see if there are any duplicates.

Otherwise, if you're able to see the most recent edits from the application that you used to edit the files, you should be able to recover the data from there.

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Found it! The culprit was duplicate file names. I'd been editing the wrong doc for two weeks. doh!

Highlighted

Dropboxer

I'm so glad to hear that @user123454321!

If you have any other questions then you know where to find us. grinning face with smiling eyes

Have a great day - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox reverted to older version and lost data/history
6 Replies
1 Like
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey