Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

Dropbox syncing large amount of /strings files constantly

Explorer | Level 3

I made the mistake of temporarily storing a 2 new version Microsoft apps for Mac )Word & Excel) in my Dropbox and 2 days later noticed 100's of .string files populating my dropbox and Resource folders and my dropbox was constantly syncing so I paused the sync and cannot get rid of the .string files or stop them from generating. I deleted the apps from the dropbox yesterday and deleted my trash. these .string files are taking up all my storage and I am only able to delete one at a time while they keep generating more files. How can I get rid of them and stop them from coming back???

3 Replies

Re: Dropbox syncing large amount of /strings files constantly

Dropboxer

Hey there @marina101 - sorry to hear about this.

To begin with, can you please let me know the current status of the app on your computer? To do this, take a look at the Dropbox icon in your menu bar and see if it is done syncing. When Dropbox is fully synced then you should see a tick followed by the words “Up to date” on the menu. 

If you do not see this then can you please let me know what the exact message being displayed reads?

As per deleting the said files, are you getting an error when trying to delete them? If so, could you send me a screenshot so that I can have a visual as well?

Thanks in advance Marina!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

24 hours after I deleted the Word and Excel apps I stored in my Dropbox, all the "string" files disappeared and the Dropbox finally synced properly. Maybe it got confused becauyse I deleted my screenshot folder on my computer Dropbox and it's still my Dropbox on your website , but it seems to be fine now. 

Thx. 

Dropboxer

Thanks for the update Marina - I'm glad you managed to resolve your concern in the end. 

If you ever come up with a question, you know where to find us winking face

Thanks for using Dropbox and happy July!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox syncing large amount of /strings files constantly
3 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post