cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-mailing files to Dropbox

E-mailing files to Dropbox

Elja_Guido_vH
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I tried to find out how to send files to our Dropbox by e-mailing it. Google Search tells me about sendtodropbox.com, but while setting that up, my antivirus tells me that one webpage would be riskful.

Ok, I can accept the risk, but now I want to know if the service sendtodropbox is a service of dropbox.com or isn't it?

Regards,

Guido

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Fearg
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Guido,

First off sendtodropbox.com is not us and is in now way associated with Dropbox, so I really recommend not inputting any personal data into that website.

Secondly why do you need to email to your Dropbox account? You can add files to your Dropbox account in a number of ways, you can use the desktop application by just dragging and dropping files in the Dropbox folder on your computer and they will be uploaded automaticallly for you.

You can also use the web uploader to add files to your account, so if you are on any computer, you login to your account and upload files, just make sure to logout again if it's not your computer. 😉

We have a super nice Help Centre article here showing you how to upload to your account.

Thanks,
Fearg

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly! 🙂

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Fearg
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Guido,

First off sendtodropbox.com is not us and is in now way associated with Dropbox, so I really recommend not inputting any personal data into that website.

Secondly why do you need to email to your Dropbox account? You can add files to your Dropbox account in a number of ways, you can use the desktop application by just dragging and dropping files in the Dropbox folder on your computer and they will be uploaded automaticallly for you.

You can also use the web uploader to add files to your account, so if you are on any computer, you login to your account and upload files, just make sure to logout again if it's not your computer. 😉

We have a super nice Help Centre article here showing you how to upload to your account.

Thanks,
Fearg

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly! 🙂

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Fearg wrote:

Secondly why do you need to email to your Dropbox account?

Convenience. If I receive an email and I'm not on my computer (or I'm on one of my many computers that doesn't have Dropbox installed), I have to download the attachment, open a browser, go to dropbox.com and upload the file. Or I can just forward the email to my sendtodropbox.com email address and then I'm done. The attachment is automatically saved to my Dropbox.

Fearg
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey Rich,

Thanks for the feedback!

The only thing extra I would add is that the Dropbox gmail integration does help with this in that you get the option to save an attachment to your Dropbox straight from gmail. I appreciate though that this still may not suit everyone and I'll make sure to pass your comments along to our development team!

Thanks,
Fearg

Elja_Guido_vH
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Fearg,

I am using Dropbox with our 'community' which constist of computer-nitwits. I do not want to learn new things to these people (most of them are older than 70 years).

Because most of the documents are static, it should be appreciated they can e-mail it to Dropbox.

Now I ask them to mail it to me.

Thanks your reply.

Regards,

Guido

Darius Y.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Here is the thing:

Our fax machine can either store files at a local computer or send it via email. Whenever the computer is down, the fax is missed, so we choose to email it. So when we turn on any computer that has the Dropbox, we see the fax in PDF.

We used to use a @sendtodropbox.com email until it stopped working. I cannot find a free alternative that works reliably!

dov
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Yup, same thing here. I scan from Scanner at work direct to email address that used to exist within sendtodropbox.com, now theres no alternative. This functionality is so important and probably unknown to most folks...please sort it..

Openmindtherapy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'd also like to be able to forward emails directly to the dropbox folder of my choice. I frequently get receipts emailed to me and want to store them away for tax purposes. On my desktop I save them as pdf and then save them to a dropbox folder. On my ipad I can't do this and would like to save them off and delete the email.

r4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Here is a reason to want to email directly to Dropbox:  a friend would like me to receive a document that is stored on his iPad in iBooks (no, not a book).  The only thing one can do with iBooks is print or email.  I'd like him to be able to email it directly to my dropbox.

MacMertz
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I also would like to be able to send an email with an attachment and have the attachment saved to a particular DropBox folder. Saving attachments manually is time consuming on a computer, and much harder on an iPad or phone.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    mkp101 New member | Level 2
    MaxJacob Explorer | Level 4
    lee2154 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?