cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emailing Link to ONLY one folder

Emailing Link to ONLY one folder

Claire C.10
New member | Level 1

Hi.
I would like to email a link to ONLY one folder from my dropbox account. If I email a link to a friend, will that friend also be able to see all the other photos in my account?
Thank you.
C.

8 Replies 8

Mark
Super User II

If I email a link to a friend, will that friend also be able to see all the other photos in my account?

As long as they are in a DIFFERENT folder they wont see them.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Kyaw L.1
New member | Level 1

Georges V.
Helpful | Level 5

How can anyone be sure of that statement ?

Maybe worth to try as test :

• Make a shared link and send it to yourself using another email address which is not coupled to Dropbox.

• Open the received link at a moment that your local Dropbox program has not been started yet, so to simulate a receiving person not having a Dropbox account on its machine. Hopefully you will be not able to click on a tree structure upwards ?

But I have another question : Would one see contents of depending folders downwards  ?

I'm not that sure and ask our  members opinion as well, having Dropbox (or not having Dropbox)

Georges V.
Helpful | Level 5

I made a test just now.

1. I have used the website to sent a "shared link" with a message generated automatically to some email-address@hotmail.com,  not in any way related to Dropbox
  2. I the closed the Dropbox service on my PC.
  3. I opened the received message and clicked on the link, which showed the contents of the folder. But to my surprise I was able to navigate to any other folder of my account. It appears that I had been logged in (or still was logged in, which is more probable)

So, something was not right is this attempt, because I shouldn't be able to see any other folders, especially those upwards in the tree structure. I'm not yet convinced that the function works as expected.

I will make some other tests, and make sure to be logged off from Dropbox completely (and this forum as well), before clicking the link on a new message..

Mark
Super User II

How did you close Dropbox on your machine Georges?

Did you totally and utterly UNLINK Dropbox from it? If not you havent closed it. Closing a web window or logging out via the website will not work if you have installed the desktop client. 

With 400 million users if this didnt work as described this place would be over ran with complaints. 

I 100% assure you, if you use it on a computer that does NOT have your account logged in on it you will NOT see any other files/folders to what you have sent.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

310EI
Super User

Hello...

If you'd like to view how the Dropbox sharing a folder/file LINK will appear to your recipients, please be my guest to test-drive the two examples that I provided below.

I always recommend to our customers to send a shared folder/file LINK to the people who you want to be able to view your folder/files instead of sharing a COLLABORATIVE folder.

ADDED BENEFITS:

[1] It doesn't use any of your recipients storage space quota (for those who already have a Dropbox account).

[2] It works for non-Dropbox members.

Be forewarned that a shared folder/file LINK should not to be confused with sharing a COLLABORATIVE folder that allows your recipients to: add, edit or delete folders and files.

UNDERSTANDING BOTH DROPBOX SHARING METHODS:

I cannot emphasize enough that it's in your best interest to familiarize yourself with both types prior to using them.

[1] Sharing a folder/file LINK ( read Help Center article).

>>> Using above method permits your recipients to view and/or download your files, photos and videos (files are read only).

[2] Sharing a COLLABORATIVE folder ( read Help Center article).

>>> Collaborative folders allow your recipients to: add, edit or delete files and folders.

ATTENTION:

Please use extreme caution when sharing a COLLABORATIVE folder because it not only allows your recipients to add/edit files, it also permits them to DELETE your folders and files.

[1] I don't use a COLLABORATIVE folder for sharing pictures/videos solely because recipients could unwittingly delete our irreplaceable digital photos (I don't have negatives to rely upon as a backup).

[2] If you have a pro or Business account then you can enable view only permissions. However, don't forget to do so otherwise you're risking possible file deletions.

You can recover deleted files but that's only available for 30-days unless you have a pro account with extended version history (or a business plan). However, if you're recipients inadvertently delete your files and you don't login to your Dropbox account until the 31st day then your folders/files are permanently removed from their servers.

SHARING A DROPBOX SUB FOLDER LINK:

The image below shows you the hierarchy of my example for sharing a LINK to a sub folder that only allows the recipient to view the ExampleSubFolder's contents .

Sharing a folder/file LINK to my sub folder example does not give you access to the parent folder (zz.Example2) or its other sub folder (ExampleSubFolder2).

Depending upon how your folders/files are arranged within your Dropbox account:

[1] You may have to create a new parent or sub folder.

[2] Then copy/move your files to that folder in order to control what your recipients can view or download.

If image doesn't load... refresh your browser, F5. Otherwise try again later

SHARING A FOLDER LINK THAT'S PASSWORD PROTECTED:

If you'd like to view how a shared folder/file LINK with a password is used then look at this zzExampleFolder.

[1] Password = share

[2] Requires pro or business account to enable passwords.

You can view or download everything in my example folder without it utilizing any of your storage space quota.

SEND INVITATIONS TO YOUR FOLDERS / FILES VIA EMAIL:

My suggestion when inviting your recipients to a shared folder/file LINK or a COLLABORATIVE folder is to send either via your email application (eg: Outlook, Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail, gmail, etc).

If image doesn't load... refresh your browser, F5. Otherwise try again later

FREE DROPBOX MEMBERS SHOULD BE AWARE:

[1] There are 20 GB bandwidth limitations set per day. This means that every file, photo or video that's viewed and/or downloaded counts against your daily allotment.

EXAMPLE: You share a link to a 500 MB video (0.5 GB) and it's viewed 40 times in less than 24 hours, then your 20 GB bandwidth limit for a free Dropbox account has been attained (your links will be temporarily disabled, and anyone who tries to access them will see an error page instead of your files). 

[2] Keep in mind that if you share a link with people who in turn shares the link with their friends, especially via social media, then your  bandwidth limit_ could be reached in an hour (not hours).

[3] Upgrading to a pro account will remove the daily 20 GB restriction and will increase it to 200 GB.

Georges V.
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you both for your patience and great help.

Indeed as explained before I was unable to open the given shared link in the "un-logged" status.
Whatever I was trying, the allowed link gave access to my whole box.

Mark Mc has explained the possible mistake I probably made.

However in the mean time I had made additional succesful tests.

I managed to send a shared link to a computer without Dropbox installed. There I was able to verify the expected results , just as explained by 310EI  in the posts above.

To convince myself completely I clicked on his given shared folter as well, with the password "shared".

Password use had been tested as well. (shared link with regular email and password given by telephone)

So, I think that I'm (almost) fully updated now. It is indeed important to become famiiar with the various functions,  before entering to more intensive "real life" work.

An important thing I learned also by myself is not to share to collaborative folders.No harm has been done, but I realized a bit late, that most people of the 30 participants had too low computer skills. Not very safe , considering the possible disasters. But again, it's better to know the risks in advance.

Thanks for helping on this topic.

My apology to topic starter Claire for "steeling" your topic, but I'm convinced that you appreciated the valuable comments received. 

310EI
Super User

Hello, G...

You're welcome... I'm glad you found the information helpful.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

310EI Super User
    Georges V. Helpful | Level 5
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?