cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ending support of public folder

Ending support of public folder

ae2rigc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just heard from dropbox that support for the public folder is ending.

---------

As a result, we’ll soon be ending support for the Public folder. Dropbox Pro users will be able to use the Public folder until
September 1, 2017. After that date the files in your Public folder will become private, and links to these files will be deactivated. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox.

If you’d like to keep sharing files in your Public folder, you can create new shared links. Just make sure to send the new URLs to your collaborators.

--------

It is one of the most useful features of the service for me as I use it to get links to single files that I can send to people without setting up shared folders and requiring them to have dropbox accounts.

(Save file to my public folder locally, syncs, right click, get publick link, paste. Doesn't get any easier than that.)

It's also useful for bb style forum posts where you can link to images with an easy tag.

With the public folder support being removed, is there going to be an alternative solution to allow easy public sharing of single files?

659 Replies 659

lupussonic
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have written to a consumer programme on BBC Radio 4. Hopefully they will investigate and broadcast it, put a DB executive on air to squirm around the issues.

WAKE UP DROPBOX!!

DavideProfe
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Whitdhraw from Dropbox. Specially the paying members. Nowadays there are many similar online storage pages, they are not the only one. That will make they think twice about it.

DavideProfe
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Suddenly, my Dropbox stopped working. All of it.
Coincidence?

ColinC
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

For some time I've been trying to work out a viable alternative to DropBox so that I can cancel my subscription and be shot of them. The issue seems to be how to make an IMAGE appear in a forum such as this one or (for example) a blog such as LiveJournal, rather than just a link to an image that needs to be followed. For a long time I could not figure out how to get this to work in OneDrive but I think I've now got it worked out.

If you'd like to see a two page PDF I knocked up on how to create the code to embed a OneDrive image into your blog or webpage or how to post an image from OneDrive into Facebook then here's the link.

Note: The instructions assume that you have a normal OneDrive account rather than a business or Office365 account. The procedure in those is (I think) quite similar but I can't be sure.

For those not aware, OneDrive is built into Win 8 onwards but you can download a program from this page to install it if you're still running Win 7 (as I am). The free account gives you 5Gb of space, premium costs $7/month for 1Tb.

The image below was inserted using this method.

ColinC
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
EDT: You can also get 50Gb for $2/month. Does anyone know of a utility that will migrate files directly from the cloud in Dropbox to the cloud in OneDrive without having to go via my computer and tie up my bandwidth with up/downloads?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

ColinC wrote:

The issue seems to be how to make an IMAGE appear in a forum such as this one or (for example) a blog such as LiveJournal, rather than just a link to an image that needs to be followed.

You can still do that in Dropbox using a Share Link. Just change the end of the link from ?dl=0 to ?raw=1. This is documented here.

dw s.
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Thanks ColinC!

Nick C.2
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution
That is very '1984' removing useful content from a post. People need to know about alternative solutions to dropbox so I am baffled by your response. Frankly obsequious pretence that there are no problems is unhelpful.

SolitareLee
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Having email alerts to this forum means I see all the content Dropbox is deleting. There is a CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT OF IT, including helpful advice and solutions to their manufactured problems, as well as critique. Even critique including the words "this will probably be deleted." It was, in seconds. Edited to something the original poster did not say at all.

This is really something remarkable to document. Dropbox has gone beyond "sh*tty company" and into sheer hardcore censoring of any conversation to make it look like complaints aren't happening. This will probably be edited/deleted too. But make no mistake, anyone who DOES manage to see this--Dropbox is definitely showing their true colors here.

Nick C.2
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution
Yeah I have email alerts and see this happening. It tends to be done by the so-called 'super-users' (I don't know if they are employees) or just being exceptionally obsequious and attempting to rewrite history.
Need more support?