cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Re: Ending support of public folder

Ending support of public folder

ae2rigc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just heard from dropbox that support for the public folder is ending.

---------

As a result, weā€™ll soon be ending support for the Public folder. Dropbox Pro users will be able to use the Public folder until
September 1, 2017. After that date the files in your Public folder will become private, and links to these files will be deactivated. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox.

If youā€™d like to keep sharing files in your Public folder, you can create new shared links. Just make sure to send the new URLs to your collaborators.

--------

It is one of the most useful features of the service for me as I use it to get links to single files that I can send to people without setting up shared folders and requiring them to have dropbox accounts.

(Save file to my public folder locally, syncs, right click, get publick link, paste. Doesn't get any easier than that.)

It's also useful for bb style forum posts where you can link to images with an easy tag.

With the public folder support being removed, is there going to be an alternative solution to allow easy public sharing of single files?

659 Replies 659

narikaa
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
You should try asking straight forward baby English questions to its help desk about this if you want to really experience these attributes. Either its manned by hydrocephalic primates that just hit a canned response button (however irrelevant) or else cogent holders of a basic education who are frankly just taking the p**s.

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi everyone,

The post has been recovered. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

ColinC
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Rich wrote:

@ColinC wrote:

The issue seems to be how to make an IMAGE appear in a forum such as this one or (for example) a blog such as LiveJournal, rather than just a link to an image that needs to be followed.

You can still do that in Dropbox using a Share Link. Just change the end of the link from ?dl=0 to ?raw=1. This is documented here.

You seem to have missed the point. I am fully aware that it CAN be done under the new Dropbox interface. However, most of us are no longer interested - your company's blatent contempt for its customer base has meant that my withdrawal is inevitable. The only thing that's stopped me up to this point has been working out how to create similar effects in the competition's software.

Your amazing cheek in censoring a post that was there purely to help others is typical of Dropbox's new attitude and makes my decision even easier. Since I don't mention any names here I'll be interested to see if this post is also censored.

In the meantime, since external links are not allowed, nor are references to other company's software, let's just say that people may find this link (to a document on Dropbox!) to be of interest.

ColinC
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
ETD: I see that they've actually restored it. Well, small kudos for that I suppose. Doesn't change my decision to leave though.

SolitareLee
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Mine neither; even if they weren't ruining eight years of hard work on my end and the ends of thousands of others, the sheer gall and blatant disrespect in how they're "handling" this is mind-numbing. Let's be blunt here: the only reason the post was """"recovered"""" is because we pointed out it what they'd done was clearly evident to anyone getting e-mail notifications. They got caught. They don't deserve kudos for a canned non-response to their shady tactics being pointed out.

Matthew T.27
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I'm sick of boilerplate replies by these "super users" that trivialise our concerns with simplistic 'workaround' posts, which are not actually 'workarounds'. How about you 'work around' breaking the links people here have been generating for almost a decade. How about, rather than pandering to any decision corporate makes, you show some autonomy and you yourselves question that fact this is an inane decision that lessens the user experience and is driving away users.

My mother used to tell me some quote along the lines of "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything". I much preferred my father's adaptation. "If you don't have anything useful to say"....

gbm
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution
The ONLY action Dropbox can take that would placate long time users of the public folder, is to grandfather existing public folders so that links will stay active for another 5 years. That should be long enough for us to make other arrangements.

Telling us how to embed files going forward may be useful, but does not address the MAJOR problem we have concerning 100s or 1000s of existing links that are in use, but not easy to locate and not always possible to edit.

Dropbox will live or die based on how they handle this going forward.

cdgoin
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I am going to go with Die.. they didn't learn..

It's one thing to make changes, it's another to destroy all their current users faith and work. Right now they are #2 behind MS ( OneDrive AND Sharepoint ), they will be #3 behind Box.net when its all over. They want to get more market share and instead they are going to kill what share they have. 

So if you don't learn that listening to the market and your users is Paramount over what you want to do.. you are sure to fail. Just as MS lost the Mobile Phone market to Apple and Google and MySpace lost the social media one to Twitter and Facebook.

Espyo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hah, the edit really IS there, still! Amazing.

Pablo f.6
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

https://www.multcloud.com , u can do a remote upload  , i use ammazons3.

Need more support?