Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Error 500 when trying to print

Helpful | Level 5

I was printing from dropbox with no problems and all of sudden it started giving me an error (500) and I can't print anything.  Any ideas? 

Tags (1)
20 Replies

Re: Error 500 when trying to print

Dropboxer

Hey @ealp2009, can you elaborate a bit on that for me please? Are you getting the error message for a file in your account or for a file you were accessing through a shared link?

It would be worth trying to access the same content once through an incognito window/in private browsing window to see if that persists; would you mind giving it a go once?

Any detail &/or visual aid you could include on this discussion would be very helpful (omitting personal info please) & rest assured that I’m here to help you get this sorted in any way I can on my end. Thanks in advance! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for the response.  It is a shared link.  I have tried chrome, firefox and safari and I tried another computer.  It was previously working and I didn't change anything.  

Helpful | Level 5

So dowloaded the document and now it will print so at least it resolved for now.  But I'm still not sure why the Error 500.  

Dropboxer
Thanks for the speedy message back & keeping me updated on the progress here @ealp2009! While it’s great that you’ve now managed to download & print the file in question, I’m wondering if this persists on an incognito window &/or without any extensions running by any chance. If you’re also getting the same results, would you mind confirming here? 

I could reach out to you via email, so as to check out if I’m getting the same error message for the same content as you; please let me know if you’d like me to proceed with that & I’ll do my best to follow-up with you soon!

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

error message 500 when printing

New member | Level 2

Keep getting "Error 500" message when I go to print.  How do I fix this, NEED to print!

Re: error message 500 when printing

Dropboxer

Hey @SZ99, I moved your message here, since the OP on this thread managed to bypass that when they downloaded the file that was giving them the 500 error. Would you mind checking out whether this does the trick for you & let me know of the results you’re getting in your next message if possible? Thanks!

Jane

New member | Level 2

Hi - I am also having an Error 500 problem when trying to print files. 

Details: we are using a Dropbox Business account.  The files affected are being shared by a link with the 'no download' setting, and are being veiwed in a normal browser (Google Chrome).  The file (~5 MB 52 pg PDF) will open and can be viewed, but when printing it attempted there is an Error 500 - the print dialog does not load, it goes straight to the Error 500 pages after approx. 2 seconds load time.  This is persistent across different computers looking at the same file, and is not isolated to a single file in a single folder (other files in other folders sometimes encounter this error too).  Once the error has occured with a file, the error persists.  I do not know of a case in our situation where a file was successfully printed and subsequently started having Error 500.  Similar-sized shared PDFs in the same folder as the 'problem file' are unaffected and print normally as they should. 

To remedy, the only solution we found so far was to re-upload the original file from the source drive back onto Dropbox again.

Any thoughts?

New member | Level 2

Sorry, I should add to the above: when viewing in the App (in Windows Explorer) there is no problem accessing or printing the file.  When the file is viewed in a browser on my account, it also prints normally (i.e., this problem seems to be encountered only when accessing the file by a shared link).

Dropboxer

Hey there @atiff,

It's most likely that you're getting the error message when trying to print from the shared link due to downloads being disabled. Can you try enabling downloads and see if you still get the same error message then? 

Can you also try using a different web browser, an incognito/private window and even clearing the web browser's cache to see if any of those do the trick?

Let me know what you find - thanks!

Daphne

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Error 500 when trying to print
20 Replies
4 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post