Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Error message and files not syncing

New member | Level 2

I am having trouble getting files to sync. I have reinstalled about 6 times now and am still getting the error message, "Please reinstall Dropbox to fix all your syncing problems", even though it says all files are up to date....but I know they are not.

What am I missing here? 

Tags (1)
3 Replies

Re: Error message and files not syncing

Dropboxer
Hi there @jcarpe, thanks for the initial troubleshooting - great work!

As a first step, could you please confirm for me if you see any Dropbox icons on your files and folders when you navigate through the Dropbox folder? 

If you don’t, have a look at this article which provides some suggestions on what to do if you don’t see the syncing icons on your files. 

If you do see them though, could you please send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what the Dropbox icon that’s next to your computer’s clock shows when you click on it?

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Screenshot 2019-05-14 10.58.15.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Thanks for the screenshot, @jcarpe

Could you please clarify for me if you are able to see any syncing icons on your files by sending me a screenshot (omitting personal details) showing this? 

If you’re not, could you please confirm if you went through the steps outlined in the Help Center article here?

More information
As I can see from your screenshot, I assume you're on a Windows OS. As such, as the article mentions, these are the relevant steps to have a look at:
  • Installing Dropbox without an administrative password will break sync icons. Re-installing using an administrator's password should resolve the issue.
  • Occasionally, the sync icons won’t appear correctly if you recently upgraded to a new version of Windows, or if you installed new applications on your computer. In this case the files or folders in Dropbox are still syncing. It’s just that the icons aren't appearing.
    • To fix this issue, reinstall the latest version of the Dropbox desktop app (if prompted, be sure to enter your computer’s admin password)
  • If your Dropbox folder is placed at the root (or top level) of a partition or hard drive, Dropbox may have issues accessing certain settings files. Moving your folder to another location on your hard drive should solve this problem.
  • Windows has a limit of 15 overlay icons that Windows Explorer can load, and the operating system reserves four for its own use. To find out how many overlays you have registered, you can check the registry:
    1. Press the Windows key + R and enter regedit.
    2. Navigate to the following registry key with this path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers     
    1. Scroll right for complete command line.
    2. If the Dropbox overlays are in the first 15 positions, they will display; otherwise you'll need to make room for them. Please note that this requires you to delete or deprioritize other applications' overlays, so only proceed if you’re sure about what you'll affect.
    3. If you decide to proceed, you can select individual keys and delete them by right-clicking on the desired key. If you don’t want to delete them, you can rename them and place a Z at the beginning to send them to the end of the alphabetically sorted list.
    4. Quit explorer.exe and launch again from the Task Manager, or restart your computer.
    5. Launch Dropbox, and the sync icons should re-appear.
Let me know of any updates!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Error message and files not syncing
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution