Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Excel file does not have an open with option

Explorer | Level 4

I have recently set up my Dropbox for Business and was planning to have all my users edit the documents that I upload using Microsoft Online. 

This works perfectly fine with most of my documents however there is one excel file that doesn't come up with an "Open with" option at the top only a "Download" option. 

Why is this? Is there a way that I can fix this so I can open it up using Microsoft Online like the rest of my documents.

6 Replies

Re: Excel file does not have an open with option

Dropboxer
Hey @HeathM, have you by any chance had a chance to look at the pointers outlined here? Kindly note that the Open with button should allow you to open your file from dropbox.com & the available applications are determined by Dropbox, your computer’s operating system, and the file type.

Hopefully this is helpful & please do let me know my advice works for you or in case you need further assistance in any way. Have a lovely rest of your day ahead & I'm looking forward to hearing back from you!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jane, 

Thank you for responding so quickly. I have read the link you have sent me and now understand how this works better however it does not resolve my issue entirely. 

I have ensured that extensions are activated (I am the admin user and I can choose open with on all of my other documents) however whenever I click into this specific excel document it only presents me with the option to download (there is no open with option at all). 

Highlighted

Super User II

Is it an .XLS file, or an .XLSX file? The Open With option is only available on the newer .XLSX files, and will not work with the older .XLS format.

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you Rich, that was exactly what the problem was. 

why only download instead of open with?

New member | Level 2

Can someone tell why i can only download a Excel file and not open like all others?

I like to work in files from dropbox and one file doesn't work this way :-(

Re: why only download instead of open with?

Dropboxer
Hey @JeroenenEefje, I’ve moved your post under this discussion, just so as to ping you to the hints we’ve posted with Rich. Please have a look at our discussion here whenever you have some spare time & let us know of the results in case our suggestions don't help rectify the issue this time. Thanks in advance! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Excel file does not have an open with option
6 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey