Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Exporting files to Dropbox

Helpful | Level 5

Sometimes, exporting files from browsers or others to Dropbox, I find them on Dropbox with a virtual or pseudo name consisting of date and time. Type is not clear in this case. If the imported file has a clear type, it is easy. The problem is difficult to find a program for reading files with type not clear. Some times the desktop applications of Dropbox or the aws office are helpful treating cloud files. For me percent of successful reading not mor than 50%. Thanks in advance for illuminating replies. ismaiism@

19 Replies

Re: Exporting files to Dropbox

Dropboxer
Hey @Ismaiism, thanks for checking in with us on this inquiry! 

Now, it’s my understanding that you’re saving your files on your Dropbox account & upon trying to open those on your device, you can’t always determine which application you could open them with, am I on the right track? If that’s happening, you could check for the file extension & proceed so accordingly, however it seems that the file type isn’t always clear. If you need guidance with that, then I’d recommend running a search on your preferred browser for "file without an extension”, that should return some interesting results.

From there, I’ll also leave this question open to our Community of users; maybe someone has a workaround in mind & they could offer their insight on how you’d best go about on this matter. 

Hopefully this helps to a certain extent & please do keep me know here if you have any follow-up inquiries about any of the above. Happy Friday!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 5

Hey @Jane , dropboxer, Thanks for your valuable reply Elucidating the problem of extensions. Sorry for my mistranslation, and using type instead of extension. This problem I am trying to solve, is not easy and depends mainly on trial and error. Thanks again for your reply, l shall use to solve the problem.

Only one small further question. It concern your use of the form “File 6-17-19, 8 08 13 AM” , will not help if you get a great number of it. Thanks again @Ismaiism

Star Collaborator | Level 18

Hi @Ismaiism,

It's not very clear what exactly is going on and how everything happens. Would be useful if You explain in more details what system are You using (OS, device, version and so on). Also, where the problematic files comes from and exact steps You have taken, so as the problem could be reproduced. For example, the file You mention (“File 6-17-19, 8 08 13 AM”) - what is the initial name and at which step exactly this name was lost?

The connection to Dropbox service can be established through corresponding application and through web interface (using web browser). In this context what You mean "exporting files from browsers or others to Dropbox"? Web browser is a tool which You can use to upload (import to Dropbox account) some file(s) or download (export from Dropbox account) corresponding file(s). Similarly - about different Dropbox applications. Could be useful if You clarify what exactly You are trying to do, so somebody could help You better.

Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Jane Dropboxer

Hi @zdrafco

Thanks for your interest and valuable suggestions. I am using a laptop equipped by windows 7 and  an iPad iOS 12.3. I am working in scientific research. I intend to use Dropbox for storing, organizing and retrieving of scientific material. I download this material from corresponding publishers. 

In the beginning when I am using the laptop the paper is downloaded and stored on my laptop drives and either simultaneously exported to to my Dropbox folders or send it later to the folders. If in some cases the problem of date and time folder with no extension occurs , it in not so harmful as I have it stored in my laptop.

When I started to use the laptop, this problem increased to tenth of such date and time files, trying to open it I get the cat and the box. I have no copy of this material on my iPad. Although I wait till the paper is downloaded and I can read it, then I export it through this rectangle and arrow then according to my luck get it from Dropbox or not. I usually use the pdf format for file transfers.

If I try to send the file by mail, it is included with a long name, one or more lines ended by O. I  have no possibility to send it as attached file. 

Sorry for this long letter, usually I try several times to solve each case separately and individually but with no conclusion, 

Thanks again.

@Ismaiism, Don't worry about the length. It's always better when information is complete.

There are still some not very clear details. As long as I can follow Your explanation seems You use locally installed Dropbox application on Your laptop and upload files using this application. Am I right? Make corresponding corrections, if there is something wrong in my supposions. You save target files directly in dropbox folder while downloading or move them there after download. At that moment Your files were going to upload to the Dropbox server (blue circle arrows became part of the Dropbox icon and on the corresponding file icon). Did You see that the operation is complete? (green tick appear on the Dropbox icon and on the corresponding file icon) You can ensure that files are properly uploaded (named correctly) using alternative account access through web browser. At that moment are they or not?

Yes, scientific research papers are typically committed to corresponding conference organization committee in PDF format (doesn't matter initial editing format), so research papers readers receive such files. Dropbox can represent internally pdf files and they can have preview or can be accessed directly in raw form. Seems You share the files by mail using internal link to Your Dropbox account content. Key moment here could be the link type, link to internal representation (ending "dl=0") or link to raw (download) representation (ending "dl=1", dl -> download). The link You use (ending "0") could represent dynamically generated HTML content. This link have to be open in web browser (not directly downloaded) where the file preview can be seen and possibly file downloaded (select Download in ellipsis menu).

@Ismaiism, Check the above directions and share here what You find out.

Helpful | Level 5

@Здравко @Jane 

Please a small correction. In the third paragraph of my letter use iPad instead of laptop. This will clarify my discussion. Thanks @ismaiism

Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Jane Dropboxer

Hi @Zdravko Well Experienced User

Here is the only place that permit placing of my answers

Thanks much for your  explanation @Zdravko.. I finished yesterday experimenting with the first part of your discussion, that concerned with laptop. On laptop I have both the Dropbox  application already established, moreover I can reach Dropbox through Chrome Browser.  All my discussion now concerns Laptop. 

To obtain scientific materials ( articles, books , papers, ....), I contact the publishers through my institute using my user name and password of the institute. Now I am using my browser to download the chosen article having the choice : either to download file on my drive , a folder in my Dropbox or use my google drive. After the end of download with the blue and green Dropbox indicators, I can read and use the article. If the download is interrupted for any reason, download can be reestablished as far as the my session with my institute is still valid.

According to some publishers, they provide free samples to be used within a time interval ( one month for example), they provide special downloader counting this period of expire. Some publisher never provide the article except during the timed session with my institute. This last case is the reason for my question. You get an incomplete  Dropbox file or paper.  You can complete it if you establish a connection with the institute.

Again the problem is easy using Laptop, The name of the file, it’s destination and the state of download are clear in the case of laptop. Now I shall experiment with the iPad or the mobile phone when using Dropbox. I hope that we can discuss the findings next. Tanks again @Zdravko, thanks again @

Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Jane Dropboxer

Hi @Zdravko Well Experienced User

Yesterday we discussed the Laptop use of Dropbox for downloading of scientific material ( article, book or paper) . As far as the the material already sent to the laptop, the Dropbox address, the  time required for download, the file name of the sent file as well as its extension successfully. Today I tried to do the same using my iPad.

After establishing a session with my institution, performed a search for some scientific subject. This is easy using information done with the laptop. Now I got  a book and a paper  both on two taps of my chrome browser. Performing the export using the rectangle and arrow revealed some sites for transfer ( mail, messenger, Facebook and Twitter) , other sites for storing and other utilities. The Dropbox has two icons: one colored blue and other not colored. I used both Dropbox icons to transfer the two objects . The book I can read page by page and the article equation by equation. 92128EFA-C28D-4915-A8A9-C03E7FDDE16D.png

639D8945-4BC9-46B7-B8BA-37686181393F.png

F7A11E7E-5B53-48DB-9AF7-F40FF5001E52.png

A3409BEA-EFD9-48BA-BAB5-68AD5C1D3802.png

After some time I visited Dropbox, found nothing except the time and date files with cat on the box. I hope and waiting your assistance concerning iPad download. Thanks in advance

Hi @Ismaiism,

At the beginning, are You sure that the material You read are in PDF format? What I mean: On the pictures, in the address bar no pdf file extension could be seen. Of course this is not mandatory and actual file name can be missing in address line.

Can You try something else? Do the things in two steps. Download the material locally on the iPad. At that moment You can check the file integrity (including the name). After that from inside the Dropbox application (not through the web browser) try to upload the file to Your account. So, I hope, will be little bit (at least) more clear what is going on.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Exporting files to Dropbox
19 Replies
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post