cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Requests - Multiple Files at a time

File Requests - Multiple Files at a time

brendym
New member | Level 2

When sending a File Request it seems on Android that you can only select one file at the time. Is this a bug? I've tested it on Multiple Android phones and it's the same on all 3 I've checked.

On iOS/Desktop you can easily select multiple files and upload them all at once via the request. But with Android you click 'Choose Files' you can only select one file before it automatically reverts back to the main request screen and then you need to click 'Add another file' this is extremely slow.

I'm requesting photos from an event from multiple atendees who don't have dropbox so File Request seemed perfect but not if Android users can only select one photo at a time. Need a solution if anyone has any recommendations?

Thanks!

6 Replies 6

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Hey there @brendym,

Can you let me know if when you are prompted to choose files to upload, you’re able to tap and hold to allow you to multi select files?

Let me know - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

brendym
New member | Level 2

@Daphne wrote:
Hey there @brendym,

Can you let me know if when you are prompted to choose files to upload, you’re able to tap and hold to allow you to multi select files?

Let me know - Thanks!

Hey @Daphne, no it's not possible to tap-hold and select multiple files. Tried on multiple android devices to the same effect.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Would you let me know the OS versions of the mobile devices you tried out? I tested this on a few android devices here and was able to tap and hold to choose multiple photos to upload at a time to the file request. 

The exact steps I took was to open the file request link in the device’s web browser, choose to “Upload files” and then selected “Documents”. Then I was able to go into the gallery and multi-select files by pressing the first file until it was selected and subsequently tapping normally other photos. Are you perhaps following a different method?

I’m looking forward to your reply - Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

brendym
New member | Level 2

@Daphne wrote:

Would you let me know the OS versions of the mobile devices you tried out? I tested this on a few android devices here and was able to tap and hold to choose multiple photos to upload at a time to the file request. 

The exact steps I took was to open the file request link in the device’s web browser, choose to “Upload files” and then selected “Documents”. Then I was able to go into the gallery and multi-select files by pressing the first file until it was selected and subsequently tapping normally other photos. Are you perhaps following a different method?

I’m looking forward to your reply - Cheers!

Hey again 🙂

Thats the exact process I attempted but doesn't let me select multiple files. The device I have here at the moment is on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow.

I'll check the android versions of the other devices I used on Monday as the other staff with android phones aren't back until then.

Edit: Also tried on a Galaxy Note 8 Android 7.1 and has the same issue where you can only select one file at a time. Long pressing doesn't let you select any others.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for that extra info there. Could you please try restarting your device to see if this allows you to multi select the files?

If this doesn’t help than can I reach out to you via our Support channel to do a little further investigation? Otherwise, if you already have an open ticket with Support about this then please let me know the ticket reference number (eg. #1234567) and I’ll follow up from there.

Let me know - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

huczok
New member | Level 2

This is actually a limitation with the default Android app which is launched when you click 'Choose Files'. It has nothing to do with Dropbox or their apps.

I've got a Samsung Galaxy S20 FE and I also noticed the problem of not being able to select multiple files with a Dropbox 'request files' link. When you click the link, a 'Choose an Action' prompt appears, you can select things like 'Capture image' or 'Camcorder'. The default Samsung file manager app is called 'My Files'. You select that, and it won't let you select multiple files (even if you try to go to 'Google Photos' app thru the My Files menu, and select multiple photos, it only uploads one file to the page. Try it yourself).

So I downloaded another File Explorer app thru Google Play Store (found a free one with no ads!) and after installing and restarting my phone, I now have that app as an option when I click 'Choose Files'. This one is simply called 'Files', it appers along with 'Capture Image' and 'Camcorder' and 'My Files' etc. If I select this new app, 'Files', and select multiple files / photos, they will all be added to the upload list and bam, happy days.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

huczok New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    brendym New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?