Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

File Sharing Best Practices

New member | Level 2

We have a small business that researches and writes books. Our research can span several years and the writing may continue for a couple more years. We go into the project thinking of different folders we will need to subdivide our research, drafts, proofs, etc. Over the course of the project, those folder names might need to change to reflect more accurately what is in each of the folders.

Our questions:

1. Is there a way to synch everyone’s accounts that share those folders so that the change is made to everyone’s Dropbox account?
  2. What we have experienced is that someone might change the name for themselves, but others in the group retain the original name, leading to confusion on where to find certain documents.  We also experience anamolies where the project leader will change where information is stored, but Dropbox will not synchronize these content changes.
  3. Can you offer best practices on who should establish the file, what rights are given to each “share,” etc.? We are wondering if that affects the synchronization issue we’ve been having.

Thank you!

1 Reply

Re: File Sharing Best Practices

Dropboxer
Hey there @tschroeder, thanks for posting your questions on the Community! I’d be more than happy to help with this. 

@tschroeder wrote:
Is there a way to synch everyone’s accounts that share those folders so that the change is made to everyone’s Dropbox account?
User that have been invited to a shared folder can add it to their Dropbox accounts, which will give them access to that folder and its contents. The shared folder also syncs with other members that have access to it so any changes made should reflect across other people’s accounts. 

@tschroeder wrote:
What we have experienced is that someone might change the name for themselves, but others in the group retain the original name, leading to confusion on where to find certain documents.

More information
If you need to rename a shared folder for all members, you’ll have to:
  1. Unshare the folder.
  2. Rename the folder.
  3. Reshare the renamed folder.

@tschroeder wrote:
We also experience anamolies where the project leader will change where information is stored, but Dropbox will not synchronize these content changes.
If these files were moved outside of the shared folder, then members of the shared folder wouldn’t be able to see this change as they may not have access to that other location. 

@tschroeder wrote:
Can you offer best practices on who should establish the file, what rights are given to each “share,” etc.?
In general, the creator of a shared folder is automatically the owner, unless they change the owner to someone else. You can also find more info on permissions and roles in this article

@tschroeder wrote:
We are wondering if that affects the synchronization issue we’ve been having.
I’d be more than happy to look into this with you a bit more in-depth. As such, I was able to locate your open request from my end and have made sure to reply to you via email. Please check your inbox for my latest message and we’ll take it from there. 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

File Sharing Best Practices
1 Reply
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post