Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

File Sharing and Editing

New member | Level 2

Hi everyone.  I'm trying to share a file with someone to edit, but the dropdown box only allows me to set 'can view'.  

After I've entered the email address and and I click on the box 'can view', I get a message which I can't read all of it as the dialogue box won't expand which really is not helpful at all.  Anyway, the message for what its worth reads 'only folders can be shared with ec'. That's as much as I can read!

Hope someone has the answer out there!

Thank you

Tags (1)
7 Replies

Re: File Sharing and Editing

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi Beverly, 

Apologies for this minor interface glitch, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

The whole message is : "Only folders can be shared with edit access"

If you wish an external user to have editing rights to your files, you need to add them to a folder and then Share the folder with that user.

You can read more about this here: www.dropbox.com/help/167

Thank you!

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Apologies that tihs is a reply to an old post however I would love to know why a file cannot be shared directly with edit access.

I don't really want to create a lot of different folders to share one or two files with different people.

Thanks

Gareth

Dropboxer

Hey @garethd - no worries, since it's the same question in essence this seems to be the right place for your inquiry. 

I understand you'd like to share files with edit rights directly without having to create folders. Currently, this is not an option Gareth so I am passing your comments along to the dev team as feature request - thank you for your feedback!

In the meantime, note that if you want the people you share with to be able to edit your files, you can share a folder with them. Edits to the files inside a shared folder are synced with members of the folder in question almost instantly. 

I hope this helps and please do let me know if you have any more questions. Cheers!

Walter

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

Highlighted

Super User II
No it isnt - because to have collaboration capabilities the other person needs to have been sent the account file to their own Dropbox account.

As a work around, could you send it out with a shared link and then ask for it back by a Request link? www.dropbox.com/requests

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Dropboxer

You can do this if you share a folder with the file in question within it @visualdreamz. Just note that this folder will take up space on each member's account respectively since your Dropbox quota is calculated based on the total contents of your Dropbox, which includes shared folders too. A Dropbox account can't sync more than its overall quota, so a 2 GB account can't sync more than 2 GB, including the space taken up by shared folders. Because every member of a shared folder can add and modify the files in the shared folder, the shared folder takes up space in each member's account. This policy exists to prevent people from giving themselves unlimited space by stacking Basic accounts and shared folders.

What you can do in this case , as @Mark mentioned, is use a shared link to the file (or folder) instead. You'll then have to open a File Request and afterwards, the recipients would have to upload the updated (with their changes) file to your file request. 

Finally, if you are interested in sharing a quota pool between multiple users, we do have a Dropbox Business subscription and you can read all  about it on our website here. 

Let me know if you have any further questions.  

Walter

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 

New member | Level 2
Many thanks for the quick responses. Based on Mark and Wat3r's responses, DB isn't really the service I need for this situation. A previous employer used DB and I was used to how that functioned, but that was because all of us had DB and our accounts were linked. For a diverse group of volunteers, however... This isn't really workable.

Thanks again! I'll have to try some other avenues.
V--Z
Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

File Sharing and Editing
7 Replies
5 Likes
Solved! : See solution