Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

File name for windows/Mac

New member | Level 2

When making a file on the Mac and that file name is not compatible with windows it does not sync. No warnings. The person on the Mac thinks everything is ok. The person on windows does not know they are missing a file. Without comparing the file list side by side there is no way to know the file did not sync. Is there a way to fix this?

3 Replies
Highlighted

Re: File name for windows/Mac

Dropboxer

Hey there @Dpar15,

I can suggest as a first step to have a look at our "bad files check" page here to initially find all the files currently within your account that are incompatible.

Then, I'd recommend checking out our Help Center article which lists all the incompatible characters, depending on your OS.

Finally, users can check for any syncing issues including bad file names through the desktop app. You can click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar/system tray, click the profile pic/initial icon in the top right and then choose "View sync issues".

I hope this info helps - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

New member | Level 2

Your link here does not work. The rest is ok. It would nice to have some kind of warning/notification. Right now I will have to click on "View sync issues" multiple times a day just to check. Which is annoying.

Dropboxer

Hey @Dpar15,

Thanks for letting me know that! I've made our team aware so that they can look into this. 

Sorry for the inconvenience there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

File name for windows/Mac
3 Replies
1 Like