Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

File sizes and uploading process

Level 3

Hi.  When i'm looking to upload a lot of individual files to dropbox from one particular computer, i can see how many files remain to be uploaded during the sync process, but how can i see how many GB remain to be uploaded ?

Do uploaded files onto the Dropbox server / cloud have a smaller GB size than they typically would if residing on a PC hard drive ?

If i am using selective sync and don't have a particular folder of data currently syncing to any PC hard drive at a point in time, how am i able to see via the Dropbox browser service how big a given folder is ?

Thank you 

5 Replies

Re: File sizes and uploading process

Dropboxer
Hey there @bizjuan,

Currently, the sync status doesn’t specify how much data is remaining during an upload, but you will be able to see the estimated time remaining for the upload (please check this thread for more info, this feature is currently out on the beta version of the desktop app).

Also, the size of the files in your Dropbox account are the same size in the cloud as they are in your hard drive as Dropbox will sync the files as they are without making any changes (eg. downscaling the file size). 

Finally, to see the folder size on the web, you can follow the steps outlined here

Hope this helps to clarify the matter for you - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Level 3

hello.  thank you for these answers.  

could i just ask then please - how do i switch to the beta version of the desktop app should i wish to.  

and also - when you request a large number of files to be uploaded to dropbox does dropbox request the upload of the smallest files first or something like that ?

thanks again.

Dropboxer
Hey again @bizjuan,

If you want to try out to beta versions of the desktop app, you can go to your Account page online and toggle on the option for “Early releases”. Then, to make sure you have the most recent beta build installed, you can visit this page here and install the latest beta. You don’t need to do this for every release as the app will automatically upgrade to the latest version.

Regarding your other question, the desktop app will upload (and download) the smallest files first when syncing files on your computer. 

Let me know if you have any other questions, I’m more than happy to help - Cheers!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 3

Wonderful, thank you for all your answers.  Fantastic service.

Dropboxer
You’re very much welcome @bizjuan, I’m glad I could be of assistance!

Have a great day ahead - Cheers! 

Daphne

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

File sizes and uploading process
5 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post