cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

File syncing problem

Explorer | Level 4

I use dropbox basic. which currently limited to 3 device login. However, I have ~10 device login since they are login before the limitation applied.

My problem is, 1 of my window computer (Name computer A) dropbox software is having problem. It does not sync in real time. Sometimes it syncs, sometimes it doesn't sync.

So, sometimes I If I delete a file from Computer B, computer A does not sync and the file does not delete. Then, maybe 1 day later, when Computer A sync, it think the deleted file is new file, so it add that file to all computers again.

Same thing happen when I edit file. I edit file in computer B. But file not sync to computer A, so when it sync, it creates a conflict of file with 2 versions.

How can I solve this problem?

13 Replies

Re: File syncing problem

Star Collaborator | Level 19

Hi @vc520,

You have described a typical scenario of files placed outside Dropbox folder and linked using symbolic links in "Dropbox" pointing to the files. Dropbox don't support "live" sync for such files. winking face That's why they are syncing at application start moments only. You can reorganize your files structure, so to no more symlinks pointing from Dropbox to outside. winking face

Hope this helps.

Dropboxer

Hey @vc520, thanks for checking in with us. 

If you don't find any symlinks as @Здравко has suggested could be the case, could you give us some more info? For example:

• Could you send us a screenshot (without any personal info) of what the Dropbox icons on your two computers show when you click on them?
  • Could you also check how many devices you have linked to your account by checking your Security page online

Let us know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4
Thanks so much for your replies. I used the cloudhq to set up a 2 way sync between my dropbox and google drive. Is this causing the issue?
https://www.cloudhq.net/integrate_dropbox_google_drive

Also, for the icons, on my problematic computer, it shows a red cross on the files. Where as for normal computers, it shows a green tick.

I have around 10 device connecting.

I can disable the 2 way sync. But what should I do now to fix this issue now?

For more information, I have a share folder which shared between Dropbox A and dropbox B.
And I have 2 google drive which are Drive A and B.
So, dropbox A and Dropbox B are shared, drive A and B are shared. Thn, Dropbox A and Drive A are connect through CloudHq.

So, whenever a file changes, all 4 accounts see the changes.

It uses perfectly for over a year until recently this problem exist.

However, 1 major issue is that, this problem does not Only occure to files in this share folder. Even for files OUTSIDE the share folder, which is personal files of that dropbox account, it is also having same issue.

Explorer | Level 4

Normal computer

螢幕截圖 2019-12-11 11.58.19.png

adnormal computer螢幕截圖 2019-12-11 12.13.39.png

abnormal computer root page.

螢幕截圖 2019-12-11 12.13.25.png

Abnormal computer symlink result. it says it can't find the file.

螢幕截圖 2019-12-11 12.13.02.png

11 login through browser.

螢幕截圖 2019-12-11 12.16.17.png

10 log in through computer device.

螢幕截圖 2019-12-11 12.16.25.png

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me with the additional info, @vc520

In general, when a file reappears after a deletion or you find conflicted copies of a file, it can mean that there's a third party app that's using or recreating the file. 

We also don't recommend connecting two different cloud/syncing apps to sync content from one to another at the same time on one device, as it can be the cause of various issues, such as syncing and permission errors, as you've also described.

For this reason, I'd recommend contacting the third party app you use to connect the two syncing apps for more info, as they may be able to provide some more insight on this. 

I understand if this isn't the ideal reply you were looking for, but I hope it helps to some extent. Keep me posted on any updates!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 4

I have stopped all third party app. However, the problem still exist on the problematic computer. How can I reset or reinstall dropbox in this two computer? Since I am a basic dropbox plan, and currently having 10 device. 

If I unlink my computer and relink, is it I will not be able to add the computer since its over 3 device? 

If thats the case, What can I do to reset dropbox setting?

Star Collaborator | Level 19

Yes, you will be limited after reinstall. So, take care!

Try fix possible permission issues. 😉

Dropboxer

If you've disabled third party apps connected to the Dropbox desktop app, try rebooting your computer first.

If you're still having trouble with it after restarting, let me know and I'd be more than happy to send you a ticket to have a better look into this. 

Let me know how it goes, @vc520!

Lusil

Explorer | Level 4
I have tried reboot the computer. and I also tried to manual shut down dropbox app and reopen dropbox.

But problem still exist. Can you help me, Lusil?
Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

File syncing problem
13 Replies
1 Like
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post