Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

no

Filenames become lowercase when attaching from DropBox to Mail in iOS

Helpful | Level 5
In iOS, when attaching a file from DropBox to Mail, the filename becomes all lowercased (e.g. Forename_Surname_NDA.pdf becomes forename_surname_nda.pdf). I contacted DropBox Support and the agent I spoke with in this instance claimed it’s not an issue with DropBox. Thing is, it’s only occurred when attaching from DropBox, not Google Drive, FileExplorer, iCloud Drive, On My iPhone, etc, making me think it’s an issue in the interaction between specifically Dropbox and Mail/iOS. If it’s not DropBox, what do you think it is? I reported the issue to Apple too but I also reiterated the issue to DropBox due to the aforementioned.
5 Replies

Re: Filenames become lowercase when attaching from DropBox to Mail in iOS

Dropboxer

Hey there @connorhawke - sorry to hear that.

Could you provide some additional information (the exact steps you take) along with a screenshot of the problem so I can get a visual too?

On a side note, I wasn't able to locate any recent tickets associated with your Community's profile. Could you forward me your 7 digit ticket ID?

Thanks in advance!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 5
Hi Walter,

Ticket 9339806. Steps:
1. In Files iOS, add DropBox as a source if not done already.
2. Start a new email in Mail iOS.
3. Double-tap on the empty email; on the menu that appears scroll right to select Add Attachment.
4. Attach any file from DropBox that is capitalized (preferably not an image or one-page PDF as these become thumbnails in the email so the filename change can’t be observed).
5. Notice all capital letters in the filename become lowercased.
6. Try attaching such a file from another source such as Google Drive, FileExplorer, iCloud Drive, On My iPhone, etc: notice filename capitalization is retained, so it appears the issue is specific to DropBox.

Screenshots and a video are attached in the ticket.

Thanks.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the clarifications @connorhawke - most appreciated.

I've located your ticket on our system now and passed your comments there to have all the relevant information under the same email chain.

At this point, let me clarify that the Files app is an application owned and maintained by Apple and it lets you browse files stored on your device and on Dropbox — all in one place. From there, you can open, edit, move, rename, upload, create folders, and download files. And if you have personal and work Dropbox accounts, you’ll be able to browse both in Files.

Our Dropbox iOS app and Apple’s Files app are two different applications. We created the following Help Center article that specifies the Files app requirements and functionality, and it also includes a list of some features and functionality that are not available in the Files app: https://www.dropbox.com/help/mobile/ios-files-app

If there’s something you’re trying to accomplish with the Files app and you’re not getting the results you were expecting, we recommend you use the Dropbox iOS app instead if possible. Therefore, could you try exporting the mentioned files through our mobile app to your device and then attach them to your emails from there? 

As you probably know, you can download and install the Dropbox iOS app from here:

https://www.dropbox.com/mobile

Last but not least, great job reporting to Apple as well as there might be an issue with how their Files.app interact with ours in which case it would need to be looked upon by their developers. 

In any case, keep me posted on your findings please!

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 5
Hi Walter, I already tried exporting files to my device or another service and attaching from there and it works fine. Additionally, when using Files to attach to Mail, file capitalization is retained when attaching from other sources like Google Drive or FileExplorer, VIA the Files app. If the exact same method of attaching works fine for these other sources but not DropBox, it seems there is an issue specific to DropBox’s ability to interface properly through Files or Mail, that isn’t present with other sources that can be connected to Files such as Google Drive, FileExplorer, etc, so both DropBox and Apple should investigate this (and indeed I’ve reported the issue to both) but since Google Drive and FileExplorer don’t have this issue via Files and Apple isn’t likely to implement a workaround just for DropBox as a source, it seems DropBox may ultimately need to attempt implementing whatever fix or workaround the other services are using to resolve this issue, even if imperfections in Apple’s code are at least partly to blame. Whatever the case hope to see a fix in the near future. Cheers.

Dropboxer

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your well elaborated feedback on this functionality within Apple's Files app @connorhawke - I'll pass your comments on to the relevant team for their future consideration.

If you have anything to add or ask in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out again; we're just a post away.

Cheers!

Walter

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Filenames become lowercase when attaching from DropBox to Mail in iOS
5 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post